Buying Advice *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy!

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #1  

Thejoj

Tractor
None yet
I just purchased our family a house on a modest 5 acres. It’s got some hills, some pasture, some trees etc.

The place hasn’t been maintained in a long time so I have been fixing it up on the weekends. I work for a construction company and get almost free heavy equipment on the weekends. I’ve been working for a few months using large equipment. Full size excavators, skip loaders, rollers and backhoes. I’ve cleared a lot of the property, cut in a new driveway, removed trees/stumps and demoed concrete.

I’ve got most of the heavy lifting out of the way and need a maintenance tractor for disking, mowing, grading, tilling, loader work, you know, a little of everything.

Im looking at compact tractors and everyone says they’re perfect for that and can do it all. I just have no idea what to expect as I’ve been using 100+ HP machines and they have struggled at times to move dirt, stumps and concrete.

Should I be looking at a 45-55hp or can a compact 25-35 do it all?

And what’s the consensus on cabs? I’ve used both open and cabbed backhoes, the cab was quite nice.

I figure this will be the only tractor I will have for 15+years.

Just someone tell me what to do.

PS. I’ve been looking at Kioti CK and DK models, Kubota B and L and that’s it so far.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #2  
Cabs are fine if you have weather concerns and some claim they're invaluable for some bug/insect issues. But others complain about clearance in treed areas.

Discing will take more guts than a 25HP can offer.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #3  
I have rented larger equipment for big jobs and smaller compact tractors for other tasks. I think a compact in the 35 hp range is what you will want for general upkeep on 5 acres. I have 20 acres and just purchased a ck3510. It should be perfect for firewood, general mowing, driveway work and some tilling as needed. Big jobs like serious trenching or road building will still require a larger tractor. Best to rent an excavator and do it right.

Kubotas and Kioti are very comparable and it may just depend on which dealer is more appealing to you. You will get different opinions but the Kiotis have a little more capacity for a little less $$.

Cabs - it all depends on where you live and what you are doing. If you will be moving lots of snow in winter then a cab may be a good idea. For me, we don't really get snow and I can deal with 90 degree heat just fine with a little shade and plenty of water.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Well the short answer is that 'we' can't tell you what to do or what to look for... at least until you tell us more about what type of land you're going to be working (approximately 'where in the world your land is' would help), what the gradient(s) are, what's around you (lots of trees? all open 'pasture'? stones? boulders?) What are you going to use the FEL the most for?

Seeing as you've got access to heavier equipment for the 'odd' big job, the tractor you'd be looking for needs to be able to handle the biggest regular task.

Enjoy the site.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #5  
I just purchased our family a house on a modest 5 acres. Itç—´ got some hills, some pasture, some trees etc.

The place hasn稚 been maintained in a long time so I have been fixing it up on the weekends. I work for a construction company and get almost free heavy equipment on the weekends. I致e been working for a few months using large equipment. Full size excavators, skip loaders, rollers and backhoes. I致e cleared a lot of the property, cut in a new driveway, removed trees/stumps and demoed concrete.

I致e got most of the heavy lifting out of the way and need a maintenance tractor for disking, mowing, grading, tilling, loader work, you know, a little of everything.

Im looking at compact tractors and everyone says theyæ±*e perfect for that and can do it all. I just have no idea what to expect as I致e been using 100+ HP machines and they have struggled at times to move dirt, stumps and concrete.

Should I be looking at a 45-55hp or can a compact 25-35 do it all?

And what痴 the consensus on cabs? I致e used both open and cabbed backhoes, the cab was quite nice.

I figure this will be the only tractor I will have for 15+years.

Just someone tell me what to do.

PS. I致e been looking at Kioti CK and DK models, Kubota B and L and that痴 it so far.

Your used to running const equipment, get the biggest tractor that will fit where you need it:)
I would suggest something at least as big as mine.

Nowadays you can get 45 horse in the old 35/35 horse frame size...mine is the next frame size up...Its big enough to get some work done, but it is not a 580 case..not even close, not even half;) Its a great tractor I love the cab , very nice..My tires are loaded it is to heavy to mow the lawn.

The roof of the cab is fiberglass so you need to be mindful of bashing into big limbs, heater core and ac goodies are up there.
But yea, in todays models 50hp+,nothing less, or you will beat it to death.:drink:

Afterthinking about it,,,,
The current series that would be close to mine by Kioti would be the NX series and they do offer a 45 horse...do not confuse the current DK series with mine..not the same

Also after 2013, anything over 25 horse has all the emmisions BS..Mine is mechanically injected an governed, it has a throttle cable and a muffler..it is a keeper

Last edited:
   / *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy!
Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks grm61 for answering my question of what to buy. I’ll get a Kioti NX 5010 with a cab.

I had a great time here.

Close thread.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #7  
Get a Kubota L4060 HSTC or one of those new Kioti DK4210SE HC’s

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy!
Anyways...I live in Northern Ca in the foothills of the sierras. Soil is actually decent. Only hit hard pan in a couple spots. No rocks or boulders.

I honestly don’t think I ‘need’ a 50hp or above right now. But who know what the future might hold. Everyone in my life that has a tractor, has had it for 15 plus years and they are all larger than compact tractors.

I would like to buy once cry once.

With that said, would the DK be a tweener or is it considered a bit larger than the CK.

/ *UPDATE* Just tell me what to buy! #9  
You cant fork off much with a small tractor....