Upgrading clutch on MF35

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #1  

TennFire

I have acquired a MF35 (gas) from my wife's grandfather. He purchased it new so it has been in her family since new.

Anyhow, I am using it with a bush hog and a box blade. It seems to handle both tasks quite well for my needs and is trailerable with my truck.

The problem I would like to address - if possible - is that when the PTO it runs whenever the clutch is engaged. At present I am using an overrun coupler, but I understand from reading about this tractor that there is or may be a dual clutch setup by which the PTO and drive axles can be independently clutched. If so, I would like to know what is involved with the conversion and what parts are needed?

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #2  
If it is what I am thinking it isn't actualy two seperate clutches it is a dual stage clutch. When you depress the clutch pedal to shift gears your pto still runs, when you depress your clutch pedal ALL the way down it disengages your pto, it doesn't stop it it disengages it and lets it free spin, as if you shifted it out. You really can't change from that, what is nice about it is if you are mowing along and have a need to chagne gears you can disengage the clutch to shift and not disrupt the pto driveline.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #3  
If you have a single clutch, there is a lever to engage or disengage into engine or ground drive PTO. The lever is attached to a slider gear and is not made for alot of in and out shifting. When the clutch is depressed the power is cut to the PTO shaft. The dual stage clutch is operated as the other man mentioned. To change to the dual stage clutch, the flywheel, clutch, and alot of the transmission componites would have to be change. Best to go to a salvage yard and buy a complete Transmission.
Chuck M.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #4  
that tractor should have the 2 stage. I ran one as a teenager and loved it. Wish I had one now.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35
Tractor says its a MF35 Special.

It seems to have engine speed PTO only and a single stage clutch.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #6  
The MF35 delux and MF135 were fitted with a 2 stage clutch while most other MF35's were not. The 2 stage clutch often requires adjustment for it to work properly. Big Dean and Bareco both give details on how to do this. To check visit these sites and look at your clutch through the inspection plate underneath the tractor. It is probably not cost effective to upgrade the clutch.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #7  
I own a MF35 Special (Diesel) I think all of the MF35 Special Tractors were fitted with the dual clutch. When you depress the clutch pedal about half way the transmission disconnects from the engine and thus you can change transmission gears without stopping the PTO. When you push further down on the clutch pedal you will feel increased resistance and this action disconnects both the transmission clutch and the PTO.

This type clutch allows you to continue normal PTO operation while changing transmission gears. If you need further info on this give me you email and I will send you a pdf file for the clutch and it's operation and adjustments.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #8  
If you have a TSC store close to you they normally carry most manuals for these older machines. I have a MF65 and mine has the live PTO.....Thats what your referring to. They have two clutches that are wet then they also have one which is dry and this is the main clutch.....which I'm going to be changing on mine this spring. Thats what happens when the wife gives the son in-law permission to use the tractor and loader that he had never operated before. He had to move a bunch of mulch around at his parents house. The next time I went to use my tractor I noticed my clutch seemed like it was in need of adjustment real bad......After I started to adjust the clutch the wife told me what she had done. She then ask me if that could of had something to do with the clutch being out of adjustment........LOL.

To make a long story short......the wife won't lend any of my tools or equipment out in the future......and she assured me of that. The son in-law will be doing most of the work when I put the new clutch in too.

If you planned on upgrading your MF35 to a live PTO....you may just look around and get the whole back half of a MF35...I think you'll find that is the cheapest way to do it. I'm not so sure you can just add parts to a standard MF35 to achieve what your looking for.....Check your TSC store for the manual and if they don't have one in stock you can probably buy one right on line from TSC or ebay......Take a look at it and you'll see what I'm talking about.....Better yet your local dealer probably would know and that would only take a phone call.

Hope some of this helps,

Jack

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #9  
"I have a MF65 "

Jack.. This is my first post on the MF board.. last weekend I ended up buying MF65.. Perkins Diesal.. multipower trans.. 2 remotes. The whole tractor is encased in it's attachment.. a MF 62 mounted 2 row corn picker/huskor. I tried it out on a sweet corn field that wasn't complety harvested this summer.. pretty much all the stalks were broken down.. but the picker still worked on them.. I headed out of the field because of the mud.

I was waiting to post until I have taken some pictures.. it's looks to be a sizeable task to unhook the picker.

/ Upgrading clutch on MF35 #10  
Ken,
I bet it is........Those pretty much wrap right around the whole tractor.....LOL. I know it's quite a chore to take off my loader......It's not a Quick Attach and it's not a Massey either. It's a pretty good size Kubota loader that I built mounts for and installed it myself....I painted it red and bought stickers for it and I think most people that look at it think the loader was made for the trcator......LOL.

They are a good little work tractor.....mine is gas and it has the Continental engine in it....It's showing a little over 3000 hrs but the engine has been completely redone. I bought it at 2900 hrs and it had a head gasket leaking. So I pulled the head and found it had dome pistons in it which is not stock. So I figured someone must have short blocked it. I took the head down and had it completely redone with the stellite values, not sure on that spelling......so I can run the lead free gas....and it runs good....I need to clean it up a little this spring like a seat and a steering wheel and that should do it. They are great tractors for around the farm and doing all the odd jobs.....good little loader tractor to. You should really enjoy the diesel.

Jack