Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #41  
I will always prefer air tools over cordless any day. My cordless stuff gets used a lot in the field but at the shop, it's always air powered. Bought myself one of those new Astro pneumatic Onyx Thor 1/2" impact guns. Makes the largest amount of foot pounds impacting energy of any 1/2" drive gun. 965 lb ft in right hand torque and 1165 in left hand torque. Gave my IR Thundergun to a good friend for him to use. It's a wicked little sucker.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #42  
I didn't want to bury this in the recent "cordless tools vs." post, so I'm creating this separately. I'm assuming I'm not the only person still limping along with this ni-cad dinosaur platform, so maybe any others out there can either help with my questions or learn a few details along the way as I make a move to upgrade.

I've got a reasonable amount of these tools: 10-12 total, with 9 batteries: 6 xrp & 3 regular. Some of this stuff I paid retail price for, and some I got at ridiculous deals over the years both new & used. for example, i paid $18 for a 2-pack of xrp batteries still sealed in the clamshell. but i digress... i recently had two of my xrp batteries fail - won't charge on any of the several chargers i have. they're all getting pretty well aged, and some of the others don't seem to hold charge well, so i know i'm on borrowed time. around here everyone is buying the milwaukee fuel 18v stuff like there is no other alternative. my question is, do i cut bait and jump too, or do i stay with the Dewalt brand and move the 20v max platform, hopefully gradually.

I've tried to do research online, but I can't find any large definitive lists of what works and what does not work when using the 20v max batteries in the 18v tools. the dewalt faq has one partial list (I will link it here in a bit) but it only has 2 of the tools i have and the information was unclear. Because of this, i'm going to post all of my tools with a list of what works and does not work for everyone's benefit, and also pose any questions I have about why something does or does not work, and hopefully someone can provide an answer.
Why no buy some subC batteries from amazon You can get Nicad or Lion For under 30 bucks Youtube has video to show how to rebuild. if your cases are in good shape you should be good to go

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #43  
I have used an adapter for a different brand tool. It really does work and is an inexpensive way to keep older tools running. I had switched to DeWalt 20V and this was a cheap way to keep a couple of older tools working

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #44  
I didn't want to bury this in the recent "cordless tools vs." post, so I'm creating this separately. I'm assuming I'm not the only person still limping along with this ni-cad dinosaur platform, so maybe any others out there can either help with my questions or learn a few details along the way as I make a move to upgrade.

I've got a reasonable amount of these tools: 10-12 total, with 9 batteries: 6 xrp & 3 regular. Some of this stuff I paid retail price for, and some I got at ridiculous deals over the years both new & used. for example, i paid $18 for a 2-pack of xrp batteries still sealed in the clamshell. but i digress... i recently had two of my xrp batteries fail - won't charge on any of the several chargers i have. they're all getting pretty well aged, and some of the others don't seem to hold charge well, so i know i'm on borrowed time. around here everyone is buying the milwaukee fuel 18v stuff like there is no other alternative. my question is, do i cut bait and jump too, or do i stay with the Dewalt brand and move the 20v max platform, hopefully gradually.

I've tried to do research online, but I can't find any large definitive lists of what works and what does not work when using the 20v max batteries in the 18v tools. the dewalt faq has one partial list (I will link it here in a bit) but it only has 2 of the tools i have and the information was unclear. Because of this, i'm going to post all of my tools with a list of what works and does not work for everyone's benefit, and also pose any questions I have about why something does or does not work, and hopefully someone can provide an answer.

I have a dozen or more old DeWalt 18v tools, many are the same as the ones you list. The 20v batteries with the adapter work fine in all the tools except one. The 18v to 20v adapter won't fit the frame of the DC515 hand held vac. For that tool, I bought a supply of these DeWalt DC9180 18V lithium batteries:

They work in all the old DeWalt tools but are getting harder to find.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform
I have a dozen or more old DeWalt 18v tools, many are the same as the ones you list. The 20v batteries with the adapter work fine in all the tools except one. The 18v to 20v adapter won't fit the frame of the DC515 hand held vac. For that tool, I bought a supply of these DeWalt DC9180 18V lithium batteries:

They work in all the old DeWalt tools but are getting harder to find.
Yup. I'm just planning ahead since they are officially discontinuing the 18v line and expect all new 18v batteries to gone my march 2022. I'll be watching for good deals on the 20v max batteries as my remaining 18v ones die out, since most of my old tools work. if/when tools die, i'll replace them with the newer brushless ones.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #46  
All my mechanic friends swear by M18 Milwaukee tools.

I'm nearing the end of my 18V Dewalt tool's lifespans. most are 11-12 years old.
I have to agree with your mechanic friend. I have several different M12 & M18 tools and batteries.
Like the OP I had a large Dewalt 18V kit that lasted me several years (2006-2012). Unfortunately several of the batteries crapped out during that span and I jumped ship by 2013. As a general contractor and DIY mechanic the Milwaukee line has been great. I have had one battery go out since 2013 and one circular saw that took substantial abuse was replaced at no charge (outside of shipping costs).
Yes their batteries can be expensive, but you don’t necessarily need the 8.0 or 12.0 unless you plan on doing yard work or taking bolts off a dozer. Additionally, most of the kits offer free batteries if you watch for their deals.
Be mindful that they do have two separate “lines” of their tools, the standard Milwaukee M12/M18 and the Milwaukee Fuel M12/M18. If you’re going to spend the money on Milwaukee tools, go with the fuel line. I describe it as the difference in buying a John Deer from a big box store or buying it from the JD dealership. Same color, way different internal parts and warranties.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #48  

I would suggest looking for a reputable online source of raw NiCAD and NiMH replacement cells. Used to be a number selling the cells pre wired to open your old battery to swap.

I've got a bunch of DeWalt 18v tools that work just fine, it's the batteries that are crapping out. I'm to old to start buying new tools that will get only some use, so I plan on just changing to adaptors and 20v batteries. The only 20v DeWalt I have is the grease gun, and only because there were no 18v left when I bought it.

Why no buy some subC batteries from amazon You can get Nicad or Lion For under 30 bucks Youtube has video to show how to rebuild. if your cases are in good shape you should be good to go

Send the batteries out to a Battery Plus for rebuild and upgrade.

I’ve used a very reputable battery rebuilding service for some of my older Dewalt 18v tools. It’s not free, but worth it for some tools where the older style battery’s work better or if you don’t want to buy a bunch of adapters or want to keep current performing tools with original style batteries.

Will recore with NiCad or NiMh cells that both charge off the original chargers. They sell diy kits or will recore your old packs if sent in for service.

I have 4 packs done by them, 2 NiCad and 2 NiMh, they work flawlessly.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #49  
Does your weedwacker use two batteries? Mine has 2 batteries and I'm amazed at how good it is. I'll never buy a gas powered weed eater again. Now I want the leaf blower that uses two batteries!!!
I have the Makita blower with 2 batteries. I was very surprised how powerful it is. My need was for something to keep in the house (no gas!) to blow off the deck and screened porch and it is perfect for that after I remove the extension nozzles to make it short enough to handle in smaller spaces. I got a great deal as it came with 4x 5.0A-hr batteries and a dual charger for the same regular price that only had 2 batteries. I could see using it for basically all blowing tasks, except a backpack blower is much less fatiguing for longer periods of use. Mine is a Stihl BR600, but that means 2-stroke gas and not easy to get around in the house. If you get it, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

I started with a basic drill and impact kit with the tiny Makita batteries 1.5 A-hr and that is nice for light work and around the house. Then I got one of the big kits with hammer drill, impact, circ saw, sawzall and grinder. That has the standard 3A-hr battery for much greater power and use time. Very satisfied with all that. I did note that the higher drain tools like the circ saw and sawzall had tabs that would not allow the smaller 1.5A-hr batteries to fit them. I assume this was to prevent damaging them with too much draw on too small a battery. Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing with the Dewalt adapter not fitting some tools, in some manner.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #50  
The 20v tools will clearly out preform the Large, heavy, awkward 18 v tools. the tools till deliver longer and NOT slow down for the last 1/3 of battery life. I was buying 18v by the package of 5 from Max Tools. but i trew one away about every 4 months. The 20 are much better. I gave all my 18v away and replaced them with 20v.
But Yard tools, I use all Ego tools with their battery system. We have to leaf blowers, two trimmers, one 14" chain saw and a lawnmower.