Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #51  
I have a lot of Black and Decker 20V tools. I use this 15 dollar adapter to run my old 18v Dewalt drill with a B&D 20V battery. B&D 20v clone batteries are plentiful and cheap on Amazon.
Convert 18v Dewalt tool to 20v B&D battery

Dewalt also sells an adapter to run their 18V tools with their new batteries. I saw it at Rural King. Dewalt batteries are expensive.
DEWALT 18v to 20V Adapter

I am not a contractor, just a farmer and home owner so I do not stress the tools and batteries. I can tolerate the cheaper alternatives to save money.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #52  
I have the Makita blower with 2 batteries. I was very surprised how powerful it is. My need was for something to keep in the house (no gas!) to blow off the deck and screened porch and it is perfect for that after I remove the extension nozzles to make it short enough to handle in smaller spaces. I got a great deal as it came with 4x 5.0A-hr batteries and a dual charger for the same regular price that only had 2 batteries. I could see using it for basically all blowing tasks, except a backpack blower is much less fatiguing for longer periods of use. Mine is a Stihl BR600, but that means 2-stroke gas and not easy to get around in the house. If you get it, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

I started with a basic drill and impact kit with the tiny Makita batteries 1.5 A-hr and that is nice for light work and around the house. Then I got one of the big kits with hammer drill, impact, circ saw, sawzall and grinder. That has the standard 3A-hr battery for much greater power and use time. Very satisfied with all that. I did note that the higher drain tools like the circ saw and sawzall had tabs that would not allow the smaller 1.5A-hr batteries to fit them. I assume this was to prevent damaging them with too much draw on too small a battery. Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing with the Dewalt adapter not fitting some tools, in some manner.
We tore down our old back porch and built a bigger one that we're sweeping all the time. Dog hair is the biggest issue. I'll probably buy the Makita 36 volt blower in the Spring. Hopefully the same deal will be available then. My weed eater came with four 5A batteries and the double charger. The cost for all of it was the same as just the four batteries.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #53  
DeWalt sells an expensive adapter to use current 20v lithium on classic 18v. The adapter slowly drains the battery if one leaves it connected.

I've had this experience and can verify it.

Also I believe it's the XR series of 20V Max batteries that don't fit in the DeWalt adapter, they've deliberately designed them to not fit. There is probably a reason related to liability in this. There's always a reason, but not always a good reason.

I buy either DeWalt or Milwaukee tools for the stupid reason that I can find either a yellow or red tool when I put it down. My eyes are bad, but my color vision isn't. Virtually all of my battery operated stuff is DeWalt because American Express points can be cashed in for Home Depot gift certificates, and Home Depot carries DeWalt. However I've noticed the quality of DeWalt tools has dropped significantly over the years. They ain't what they were.

After market stuff generally kinda works in my experience. I had a Harbor Freight drill that was almost identical to my Makita 9.6V. The Makita batteries worked fine in the Harbor Freight, but good luck getting that Harbor Freight battery out of the Makita. There was just enough difference in size to jam up the works and put a sudden end to whatever it was you were doing while you worked on removing that battery.

You shouldn't have to fight your tools.

Most of my DeWalt 18V batteries are dead now and I'm moving over to the 20V, and replacing my drill drivers with impact drivers as the former die off. (Usually by breaking a jaw making it impossible to access the screw to remove the chuck). And the new impact drivers seem to work better, and are more compact, IMHO.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #54  
I didn't want to bury this in the recent "cordless tools vs." post, so I'm creating this separately. I'm assuming I'm not the only person still limping along with this ni-cad dinosaur platform, so maybe any others out there can either help with my questions or learn a few details along the way as I make a move to upgrade.

I've got a reasonable amount of these tools: 10-12 total, with 9 batteries: 6 xrp & 3 regular. Some of this stuff I paid retail price for, and some I got at ridiculous deals over the years both new & used. for example, i paid $18 for a 2-pack of xrp batteries still sealed in the clamshell. but i digress... i recently had two of my xrp batteries fail - won't charge on any of the several chargers i have. they're all getting pretty well aged, and some of the others don't seem to hold charge well, so i know i'm on borrowed time. around here everyone is buying the milwaukee fuel 18v stuff like there is no other alternative. my question is, do i cut bait and jump too, or do i stay with the Dewalt brand and move the 20v max platform, hopefully gradually.

I've tried to do research online, but I can't find any large definitive lists of what works and what does not work when using the 20v max batteries in the 18v tools. the dewalt faq has one partial list (I will link it here in a bit) but it only has 2 of the tools i have and the information was unclear. Because of this, i'm going to post all of my tools with a list of what works and does not work for everyone's benefit, and also pose any questions I have about why something does or does not work, and hopefully someone can provide an answer.
I traveled the same road you are on. I considered the Milwaukee line a step up and so far I have been extremely glad I did. 7 years and all batteries still performing very well. The only exception I had was a failed attempt to teach my drill/driver to swim and that (in hind sight) proved to be a not too good idea. Tried CPR and found a pulse, then ran a half a battery thru it but despite my heroic efforts it passed away just 6 days before the 5 year warranty expired and a few weeks after I submitted it to the repair center it was replaced with a brand new one. Yes, I managed to find my purchase receipt which made it all possible. FWIW

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #55  
I didn't want to bury this in the recent "cordless tools vs." post, so I'm creating this separately. I'm assuming I'm not the only person still limping along with this ni-cad dinosaur platform, so maybe any others out there can either help with my questions or learn a few details along the way as I make a move to upgrade.

I've got a reasonable amount of these tools: 10-12 total, with 9 batteries: 6 xrp & 3 regular. Some of this stuff I paid retail price for, and some I got at ridiculous deals over the years both new & used. for example, i paid $18 for a 2-pack of xrp batteries still sealed in the clamshell. but i digress... i recently had two of my xrp batteries fail - won't charge on any of the several chargers i have. they're all getting pretty well aged, and some of the others don't seem to hold charge well, so i know i'm on borrowed time. around here everyone is buying the milwaukee fuel 18v stuff like there is no other alternative. my question is, do i cut bait and jump too, or do i stay with the Dewalt brand and move the 20v max platform, hopefully gradually.

I've tried to do research online, but I can't find any large definitive lists of what works and what does not work when using the 20v max batteries in the 18v tools. the dewalt faq has one partial list (I will link it here in a bit) but it only has 2 of the tools i have and the information was unclear. Because of this, i'm going to post all of my tools with a list of what works and does not work for everyone's benefit, and also pose any questions I have about why something does or does not work, and hopefully someone can provide an answer.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #56  
What ever you choose to do you may want to do it soon. While the media keeps our minds occupied with nothing but Covid... our save the world elected officials are drafting legislation requiring all battery powered hand tools come with a backpack mounted wind generator and a large hat weighing nearly 22 lbs that is in fact a group of 8-10 solar panels. Internet says this information came from CNN so it must be true.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #57  
   / Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #58  
Here is my take.....

I have about 6 DeWalt 18 V tools and one drill has already died and gone to junk tool heaven...

MY big 1/2 drill is showing signs it is going to be needing replaced soon....

But my 1/4 impact is good, my 6-1/2 circular saw is good and reciprocating saw is good...

The though process right now is to replace each tool as need with 20V LIon.... But not as a set....

THE batteries that come with most sets are weak (1 to 2 Amp hour).... Initial investment is going to hurt because going to by drill alone with no batteries and charger... Going to buy large charger and 4 or 5 AH batterie separately .... Expensive but good to go..... Now as old 18V NiCad batteries die I can use an adapter with LIon Batts to power remaining old 18 V tools...

As older tools die I can replace with newer versions that take LIon batts direct.... And I can add additional batteries in future as need demands...

Other option may be to completely change brands dump whole line of tools on local internet sale site and go to brand that has complete line of tools I need ,maybe Makita... What I don't want is a lineup of several different chargers, and different style/shape battery packs that do not interchange with all tools.... Also house brands from BIG BOX store are out question because I can not replace them at local hardware stores that only carry national brands (DeWalt, Makita, Craftsman (?) etc...) and nearest BIG BOX is 40 miles away, vs. 4 miles to local hardware...

The really sad realization is when I have to replace my $350 Stihl Chain Saw with Comparable STIHL electric saw, Saw is $800 after buying saw, charger, and single battery (yes the are sold separately not as a set).... New saw battery take at least 40 minuet's to full charge battery, does not give same cut time as gas saw, and weighs in at one pound heavier than comparable gas saw (refuel time at about 5 minute's)....

Last edited:
   / Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #59  
The really sad realization is when I have to replace my $350 Stihl Chain Saw with Comparable STIHL electric saw, Saw is $800 after buying saw, charger, and single battery (yes the are sold separately not as a set).... New saw battery take at least 40 minuet's to full charge battery, does not give same cut time as gas saw, and weighs in at one pound heavier than comparable gas saw (refuel time at about 5 minute's)....
Only way I'll ever own an electric chain saw is when I can no longer buy gasoline. And at that time a chain saw will be wayyyyyy down on my list of things I must have. :(

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #60  
Here is my take.....

I have about 6 DeWalt 18 V tools and one drill has already died and gone to junk tool heaven...

MY big 1/2 drill is showing signs it is going to be needing replaced soon....

But my 1/4 impact is good, my 6-1/2 circular saw is good and reciprocating saw is good...

The though process right now is to replace each tool as need with 20V LIon.... But not as a set....

THE batteries that come with most sets are weak (1 to 2 Amp hour).... Initial investment is going to hurt because going to by drill alone with no batteries and charger... Going to buy large charger and 4 or 5 AH batterie separately .... Expensive but good to go..... Now as old 18V NiCad batteries die I can use an adapter with LIon Batts to power remaining old 18 V tools...

As older tools die I can replace with newer versions that take LIon batts direct.... And I can add additional batteries in future as need demands...

Other option may be to completely change brands dump whole line of tools on local internet sale site and go to brand that has complete line of tools I need ,maybe Makita... What I don't want is a lineup of several different chargers, and different style/shape battery packs that do not interchange with all tools.... Also house brands from BIG BOX store are out question because I can not replace them at local hardware stores that only carry national brands (DeWalt, Makita, Craftsman (?) etc...) and nearest BIG BOX is 40 miles away, vs. 4 miles to local hardware...

The drill may just need brushes. Easy to find, easy to replace. I just did my old 18v Hammer Drill.