upright arms

/ upright arms #1  

tonyw

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1401d
I have a YM1401d and have trouble with the retaining pins/clips hitting the inside of my fenders whenever the 3 pt. is in the fully-raised position. If I reverse the set-up(move the fixed and adjustable arms to the inside of the upper lift arms), the pins won't hit the fenders. Is this a good or really bad idea--will I cause some major malfunction with my implements, etc...? /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif
thanks

/ upright arms #2  
Let me make sure I got this right, the upper lift arms and pins which hold the connecting links ( to the lower lift arms ) are rubbing the fenders on the tractor? Sounds like there may be a problem with your fender or mounts. I've noticed that many fender mounts are moveable, and can lock into various locations on the axle. Even my 1700 has some play on fender movement. Perhaps yours has been adjusted too close?

I'm sure the hitch pins can be turned in... but am unsure of their effects.... I've never seen it done before.

Soundguy

/ upright arms
yep, you got it! the pins smack the corner of the fenders--it was like that before I bought it--as evidenced by the ugly dents! I'll see if I can adjust them--had no idea they were adjustable/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.
Thanks a bunch!
tonyw

/ upright arms #4  
I've never actually seen a 1401.. I have used a 1700, a 1300, and a 1500. And if your 1401 is like my 1700, the rear fenders are held on by essentially huge u-bolts, that bolt around the axle, and into the flange on the fender. My axle also hase indentations.. like 3 of them on each side, so that the fender can be mounted another 1.5 inches in or out from it's present location. Hopefully yours will be the same.

Soundguy

/ upright arms
I'll give it a look and let you know what I find--it seems that most of problems so far, have had simple fixes; I hope that's the case this time. Thanks again, Soundguy, for your help! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

tonyw

/ upright arms #6  
Eh, don't thank me yet.... wat till you see if it helps any /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Soundguy

/ upright arms
okay, Soundguy, I thanked you too soon/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. My fenders are mounted to the trans. housing, not the axle. I did discover that my pins are too long though; replacing them should do the trick...
thanks anyway.

tonyw

/ upright arms #8  
Sometime it is possible to change the position of the fenders by adding spacers and longer bolts.

Chris

/ upright arms #9  
I have a 1401D also and have had the same problem. On the side link that is adjustable there is a locknut with a rod welded to it to make it easy to tighten. If that nut is turned the right way, it hits the fender when I raise the 3-point. These machines originally had a 2-point hitch and if yours is anything like mine the 3-point is sort of a bastardized setup and whenever I hook up a new implement it takes some tinkering to get things to work right. Other than that, love the tractor, great little machine. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ upright arms
Thanks, Hosejockey! So , I'm not REALLY crazy. You're right, other than the small stuff that requires tinkering, I love my 1401 too./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
tonyw