USA vs. Italy....

/ USA vs. Italy.... #11  
I can't compare a Landpride tiller to an Italian tiller but I can tell you my experience with an Italian Caroni 6' RFM verses a Woods 6' RFM. The Caroni self destructed after two seasons of commercial mowing. The Woods I purchased after that was used 6 seasons of commercial mowing and ran like new when I quit the business.

/ USA vs. Italy.... #12  
If you are only going to use it a couple times a year for a small garden, save your money. If you are using it commercially or large gardens, spend the extra $$.

/ USA vs. Italy.... #14  
How about linking to that old thread?
Their steel probably comes from China since we in the US have put our steel making businesses out of business (just hope we never get into another major war!).

The Chinese are smarter than to export raw steel into the US. It is more valuable to make junk out of it to sell in the US. I know of no raw steel imported from China. They consume all they import into manufacturing junk. They buy up all of the raw rod and scrap they can; sometimes creating shortages and causing inflated steel and scrap prices. Their steel mills are horribly inefficient government employment companies. A couple of months ago new Chinese management tried to modernize and cut labor to become more efficent. They were executed when it created unrest.

You are right, it is hard telling where the gear box is made.:(

It isn't getting easy to buy American. I was going to buy a pair of "Vise Grip" brand locking pliers. They are owned by Irwin now who has them made in China. :mad: Lord help us.

Sorry for the rant! It has been a long cold winter. :D

/ USA vs. Italy.... #15  
It's hard even to work American anymore. First company I worked was bought by Germany and they closed it. The company I am at now was bought by Britain and they almost closed it. We were bought out by an American company a few months ago. It's a pleasure to be working for an American company again.

/ USA vs. Italy.... #16  
My experience with Italian made products like my Caroni Finish mower and the valves on a 3 point backhoe were good. Both seemed to be quality products that were top notch.

I would save the coin and get the KK.

With that said I bought a KK 5' finish mower and it lasted 3 years with over $800 in repair parts. It was junk but American Made. I then bought a Caroni 6' finish mower and have only spent 20 cents on a bolt that fell out. Probably my fault for not going back to check everything was tight because its been so trouble free.

Chris

/ USA vs. Italy.... #17  
I'd go with the Land Pride if I were getting a Reverse Rotation version....or should I said, if you go with the Land Pride, get the Reverse Rotation.
Otherwise its hard to not buy a KKII...pretty well documented here on TBN that they are hard to beat when it comes to bang for the buck..

/ USA vs. Italy.... #18  
My only Land Pride 60" mower lasted 14 years without even replacing a bearing...
That mower was sold to a friend of mine who is still using it...
It was great quality...
I replaced that mower with a Woods PRD 7200...
It is great quality also...
Since I mow so much I only considered Land Pride or Woods...
I needed something that I knew would stand up...
The Italian made mowers that I saw were lighter duty but that may suit you fine...

/ USA vs. Italy.... #19  
My only Land Pride 60" mower lasted 14 years without even replacing a bearing...
That mower was sold to a friend of mine who is still using it...
It was great quality...
I replaced that mower with a Woods PRD 7200...
It is great quality also...
Since I mow so much I only considered Land Pride or Woods...
I needed something that I knew would stand up...
The Italian made mowers that I saw were lighter duty but that may suit you fine...

14 + years ago they did not outsource some of the main components to china, etc.--Ken Sweet

/ USA vs. Italy.... #20  
Buy Land Pride if you want true value. If you want the cheap, buy the Itialian built. I have dealt with the Itialians and still do on a daily basis. Here is what I have observed.

They are much more laid back than we are in the states. They try to enjoy life maybe a bit more than us. That part of their culture I admire.
They do shutdown all of their manufacturing during August. If we need parts we have to make sure we have them before their summer holiday shutdown. Customer doesn't always come first. They do have to be badgered at times to get service. Their quality is decent, but it never seems to be overbuilt. If your problem isn't solved by thier quitting time it can wait till tomorrow. It is tough to get them to tell you the whole story when you have a warrenty claim also. then you have to watch them or you will still get a bill under warrenty and have to negotiate it.

The analogy I would use, would be comparing the value of an 80hp 1960's vintage Fiat Tractor and the value of a 1960's John Deere 4020. The 4020 is still in great demand and price and the Fiat might be tough to give it away. You don't see many Fiat cars on the road today or in great demand in the States. If it wasn't for CNH Fiat wouldn't have been in position to go after Chrysler. It is there connection with purchasing American companies that has made them legit. They even make fun of Fiat cars over in Italy.

Buy the Land Pride. It is a Great Plains company which is very solid and a significant player in the large ag equipment business. I believe they are the largest privately owned farm equipment manufacture in the US and wouldn't have a deal with Kubota if they didn't build great stuff.:D

Their price would reflect what it really cost to manufacture, not a subsidized price. IMO.

Holy Cow.. Congress is full of Italians. :D :D :D