USA workers for Australia

/ USA workers for Australia #1  

zonta223

Platinum Member
Tractor
Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk
Been numerous stories on the radio, tv and newspapers about our government (Australian) making it easier for companies here to employ American steel workers (not workers making steel but welders, riggers, boilermakers etc) on short term (1 or 2 year) contracts to help our shortage of skilled workers on the massive mining projects now underway in remote parts of Australia.
Normal working hours are 2 weeks on 1 week off........normal pay $150,000 to $200,000 a year.
Now have been following the fall in unemployment in the USA over about the last 7 months.
My question ......do you think Australian companies will have much success gaining American workers? or is the unemployment still really bad for skilled workers in the USA.?

/ USA workers for Australia #2  
This sounds like the past rush to send workers to Saudia Arabia?Some might do it soon?? The pipeline jobs seem to be going pretty good here right now due to the Fracking of nat. gas..??

/ USA workers for Australia #3  
There were a lot of guys that went to Alaska when the pipeline was being built. Those weather conditions were probably worse then the remote parts of Australia...
So, I can see the more adventurous (unmarried and no kids) type guys heading down under.

/ USA workers for Australia #4  
Been numerous stories on the radio, tv and newspapers about our government (Australian) making it easier for companies here to employ American steel workers (not workers making steel but welders, riggers, boilermakers etc) on short term (1 or 2 year) contracts to help our shortage of skilled workers on the massive mining projects now underway in remote parts of Australia.
Normal working hours are 2 weeks on 1 week off........normal pay $150,000 to $200,000 a year.
Now have been following the fall in unemployment in the USA over about the last 7 months.
My question ......do you think Australian companies will have much success gaining American workers? or is the unemployment still really bad for skilled workers in the USA.?

I think the unmarried and/or childless would go for the work. When I was younger I seriously thought about trying to get a job on a missile test range in the Pacific. :D The money was excellent and I sure would not have a chance to spend it. :laughing: In the end I got a local job but I really thought hard about the overseas job.

I know of a guy who is working in the Sinai for good money and he has been doing it for years. I would NOT take that job. :D

Later,
Dan

/ USA workers for Australia #5  
From my time in WA, I'd say there's likely to be a language barrier.:laughing:

Actually, I think Australia has a history of allowing temporary workers when the need arises. It helps Australia and it helps people with skills who need work. The beauty of Australia is that it's a bit easier to control borders there than in many countries.:thumbsup:

/ USA workers for Australia #6  
I have a feeling, that the jobs are at the big coal mines. They are located mostly out in the middle of nowhere, and are fly in fly out. Rents in the mine towns can be as much as 2-3k $ per week. Would do a lot more do research.

I have been down under many times, 3 weeks each time and traveled over that country more than most of the citizens. Loved it when the exchange rate was good. It was way cheaper to vacation there than here in the late 90's and early 2000's. Our US dollar is in the toilet right now, I can still get Biz class tickets for 40 bucks a seat out of Seattle with the freq flyer miles, but cant afford it when I get there.

The next vacation will be to So Africa, as the US dollar goes much farther there.

Last edited:
   / USA workers for Australia #7  
My ideal job would be working in Diego Garcia for a contractor or U. S. Navy.

mark

/ USA workers for Australia #8  
Actually the USA also is lacking in SKILLED TRADES people. The younger generation are all after facebook and text messages & 90% dont want to work they want to set at home and play video games on their phones or big screen TVs mommy & daddy bought...

I would not mind working down under, or going back to GUAM for a few years... :D

Was in GUAM in AF with a broken B1B (My Hyd. System) and everyone else left and went Down Under to team up with the Aussies. after 2nd day Desert Storm kicked off they all flew to Diego Garcia and spent next 120+ days there. I spent duration of the ACTIVE (3.+weeks) war in Guam snorkeling... then back to base Wichita Ks (McConnell AFB) where it became the KC135 Depot Repair for all war effort. 60% of my shop was in Diego so I was on 12 hr shifts 7 days a week until they got back...

Mark

/ USA workers for Australia #9  
i was stationed at the northwest cape,ex mouth Australia back in 1968-1968.navel communication station.i married a women i met there.i loved the fishing there.

/ USA workers for Australia #10  
Lots of work in western North Dakota. If my wife would let me, I would go. $80k for a truck driver.