Used Bottom Plow

/ Used Bottom Plow #1  

z4racer

What should I look for when buying a used bottom plow? I know there are not really any moving parts so I am not sure what wear and tear to look for. Also, just finding a used plow has been difficult. Thanks in advance for any info.

/ Used Bottom Plow #2  
What size are you talking? Lets say its a common 2 bottom plow. Around here they are easily had but old and need some tlc. $150 will usually buy them but will work ok for a guy like me who only uses them a few hours a year on the garden.

Chris

/ Used Bottom Plow #3  
Wide open here. To begin with do you know what size you need? Would suggest you be sure you can buy parts for it before you buy it. Yes some do have moving parts with a wheel to keep it in furrow or straight as you plow. But you have tons of dirt sliding over a lot of steel wearing it like sandpaper.
You have options in the shanks which will affect the price and will vary with the size of plows. If you will be doing much plowing you certainly want a plow with some form of protection in case or rather when you hit a stump, root or rock. Shear bolt lowest cost and simple to auto reset springs systems.
It has been a couple of years since I have been to an auction but most plows I have seen at an auction are worn very heavy. It is much cheaper to pay more for a set with very little wear to the parts than to buy a really worn unit and then replace a lot of points and such.
If you are totally new to bottom plow (moldboard) you need to know how they measure the width as it is the distance between the shanks such as 14 inches.

/ Used Bottom Plow
Thanks for the info so far. I am looking for a 2 bottom 14" plow. I have never used a plow so I would say I am new to it. It sounds like I might be better off buying a new one. I will also just be using the plow for a couple of garden spots. I have been using a tiller but I think plowing the area first will yield better results. Plow and then till is the new plan.

/ Used Bottom Plow #5  
A new 2 bottom plow will be about $750 and up. For a few gardens pickup a old Ford or Ferguson 2 Bottom and rebuild it if needed. Parts are plentful and cheap.

I have a 2 bottom 16" King Kutter I got for $100. It still has all the paint on it and looks like basically new. Keep looking and you will find one. I stumbled on this one in a guys front yard. Check Craigs list.

Chris

/ Used Bottom Plow
A new 2 bottom plow will be about $750 and up. For a few gardens pickup a old Ford or Ferguson 2 Bottom and rebuild it if needed. Parts are plentful and cheap.

I have a 2 bottom 16" King Kutter I got for $100. It still has all the paint on it and looks like basically new. Keep looking and you will find one. I stumbled on this one in a guys front yard. Check Craigs list.

Chris

I check craigslist every day and have been for a couple months. They seem few and far between here in Virgina.

/ Used Bottom Plow #7  
Be careful as many of those old 2 bottom plows have been sprung. When looking at the plow from the rear make sure both of the bottoms lay on the floor the same and all of their angles are parallel. If one of the bottoms is sprung, you will never get it to work right.

/ Used Bottom Plow #8  
Be careful as many of those old 2 bottom plows have been sprung. When looking at the plow from the rear make sure both of the bottoms lay on the floor the same and all of their angles are parallel. If one of the bottoms is sprung, you will never get it to work right.

I agree totally with this. I bought an old Ford 2 bottom w/o any trip protection and promptly broke it. Repaired all the broken bolts and then broke it a second time and it appears I slightly bent the main "J" shaped frame and the bottoms now seem slightly out of parallel. Want to buy it?? Just kidding but I learned an expensive lesson.

First, don't buy a plow w/o trip protection, unless your soil is rock free and soft. Find one with available parts, such as a Ford or Deere, but even then, some parts (such as landsides) are hard to find. Match you tractor size to the plow. I made the mistake of using too big a tractor on too small a plow without protection, and paid the price. I bought another old Ford 3 bottom with shear pins, restored it with new shares and shins, and it works great. But I pop the shear bolts frequently, but that is an easy cheap fix.

I see many online, if you are willing to travel, and in S.C., I occasionally see them locally. Look at your state Farm Bureau newletter, or E-Bay. There are not many new manufacturers of plows, and you can find an old one much less than the $800 a new two bottom costs. I see them often for $300 to $400. Be patient in your search and you will eventually find one to restore. When you do, I can help you find sources of parts, as I spent lots of hours searching for various parts for the two plows I restored and learned a lot.

/ Used Bottom Plow #9  
I check craigslist every day and have been for a couple months. They seem few and far between here in Virgina.

Where are you in VA? I've got a Dearborn 10-8 (2 bottom) with furrow wheel, coulters, that I completely redid (new shears/points/paint, etc) that I've used once in 3 years to plow a pumpkin patch (1/3 acre). It's just sitting now...BobG in VA

/ Used Bottom Plow
Bob, I live about 30 miles south of Fredericksburg.