Used Herd spreader/sander value

/ Used Herd spreader/sander value #11  
Clean it up, get that white power off of it (looks like salt or fertilizer), and then paint it Deere green.

herd2_zpsc1573ccd.jpg

/ Used Herd spreader/sander value
Clean it up, get that white power off of it (looks like salt or fertilizer), and then paint it Deere green.

View attachment 495819
I ended up trading it back to the previous owner. The gate would not open after I loaded it with sand. Had it less than a week, but during that time realized I need my utv/gator to carry a sander so I can use the front end loader to fill with large quantities.

My driveway is 2-300yds long and there are 3 parking areas. Plowing with a bucket, check. Stopping to shovel sand into the hopper every time it's out, no thanks.

I lucked out big in that the broadcaster didn't function. Too bad too, cuz the owner is a nice dude and I felt bad but need to figure something else out...

Since I see the dpw loaders and sand trucks working in tandem, I'm leaning that direction even tho it costs a boat load more...

/ Used Herd spreader/sander value #13  
I've put sand down on my 2/3 mile drive in every possible way I can think of. Before the sander I would use 5 gallon buckets and my side by side to sand. I would spread it like chicken feed. Before that I would just get a load of gravel on the loader and just use a shovel to spread it as needed. Filling the hopper is plenty of work and requires me to drive back to the pile of gravel several times but it's less work than filling buckets and then manually spreading it. It's not much harder, in my case, to fill the hopper by shovel than it would be to use my backhoe loader and shovel it over to the hopper. It would be nice to have a conveyor belt that I could dump gravel onto with the loader to fill the hopper but until I find one for cheap I work with what I've got. I had thought of getting a good sander like a Western Pro Flo style to handle heavy wet sand. But they are not cheap. I think the cheaper poly hopper spreaders are good for salt only.

I replaced the gate that slides in and out with a piece of stainless steel and used some flanged bearings to make it slide very smoothly. The key is to keep it clean. Unfortunately it sounds like the previous owner didn't. Salt and fertilizer really play havoc with the aluminum and bare steel shafts of the gear box.

After watching a show on Alaska and seeing a deicing machine that uses spiked wheels to break up the ice I'm now thinking of building something similar.

I've put sand down on my 2/3 mile drive in every possible way I can think of. Before the sander I would use 5 gallon buckets and my side by side to sand. I would spread it like chicken feed. Before that I would just get a load of gravel on the loader and just use a shovel to spread it as needed. Filling the hopper is plenty of work and requires me to drive back to the pile of gravel several times but it's less work than filling buckets and then manually spreading it. It's not much harder, in my case, to fill the hopper by shovel than it would be to use my backhoe loader and shovel it over to the hopper. It would be nice to have a conveyor belt that I could dump gravel onto with the loader to fill the hopper but until I find one for cheap I work with what I've got. I had thought of getting a good sander like a Western Pro Flo style to handle heavy wet sand. But they are not cheap. I think the cheaper poly hopper spreaders are good for salt only.

I replaced the gate that slides in and out with a piece of stainless steel and used some flanged bearings to make it slide very smoothly. The key is to keep it clean. Unfortunately it sounds like the previous owner didn't. Salt and fertilizer really play havoc with the aluminum and bare steel shafts of the gear box.

After watching a show on Alaska and seeing a deicing machine that uses spiked wheels to break up the ice I'm now thinking of building something similar.
The poly spreaders are not sold as wet sand friendly. Matter of fact there are only a few that will lay dry sand.

What, about a spreader prevents it from broadcasting wet/heavy sand? Spinning disk? Auger? Motor? All?

I'm leaning towards a truck bed broadcaster like the DPW uses, and my loader to fill. Thinking of putting the sander on a trailer and towing with the tractor. The other I'm thinking is strapping it to my side by side dump bed.

/ Used Herd spreader/sander value #15  
To spread damp sand you need to have the auger pull the sand down through the shoot. Without the auger action the sand just bridges funnel and no flow. Herd has developed a quick attach system for their sander to mount on the loader arms. They also built up the leading edge of the hopper like the cutting edge on a loader bucket. To load the hopper you tilt completely forward and scoop up the sand. Then of course they supply a hydraulic motor to spin the spreader. Very pricey to say the least. Probably better off with one of these SaltDogg SHPE Salt Spreader about $2700.

To spread damp sand you need to have the auger pull the sand down through the shoot. Without the auger action the sand just bridges funnel and no flow. Herd has developed a quick attach system for their sander to mount on the loader arms. They also built up the leading edge of the hopper like the cutting edge on a loader bucket. To load the hopper you tilt completely forward and scoop up the sand. Then of course they supply a hydraulic motor to spin the spreader. Very pricey to say the least. Probably better off with one of these SaltDogg SHPE75 Salt Spreader about $2700.
The only issue now is getting a 50/50 mix, or keeping the sand dry. Also, I better start saving for a broadcaster for next season... even the smallest are expensive as ****

/ Used Herd spreader/sander value #17  
Investing in the smallest VICON spreader with the stainless steel liner,
screen, agitator and the salt and sand tube will let you get way ahead
of the game as long as you have your dry sand in the garage or use a
space heater to heat the sand up if its frozen solid.

Another good way to keep the broken sand flowing is to use windshield washer fluid
in each hopper full of sand.

Investing in the smallest VICON spreader with the stainless steel liner,
screen, agitator and the salt and sand tube will let you get way ahead
of the game as long as you have your dry sand in the garage or use a
space heater to heat the sand up if its frozen solid.

Another good way to keep the broken sand flowing is to use windshield washer fluid
in each hopper full of sand.
Windshield washer fluid you say?!
I don't have a covered let alone heated space for any material as of yet. Bldg. that is now in the list of things to do. Presumably if I stock up on sand in the other 3 seasons, would a tarp be sufficient? Or am I making more work for myself in the long run?

The town uses a huge hopper with a chain belt/auger. If I only had 6,000 for one of those haha