Used Hydraulic Parts

/ Used Hydraulic Parts #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I am in the process of building a CADDigger 821 Backhoe with a friend. We got the plans and have been studying and pricing components. We are in Ontario Canada and the $$ exchange for MetKit components is a killer. I've been talking to some "hydraulics" folks locally and getting some advice. I am interseted to know if anyone has experience in buying used hydraulic cylinders, pumps, splitters and contol valves. What should I be looking for? Any suggested sources?
Also, any succinct tutorial on Hydraulics would be great.
Thanks

/ Used Hydraulic Parts #3  
Bob I to am from Canada (Nova Scotia) and am presently building a front end loader for my Power King tractor. A good source for new hydraulic componets is Princess Auto, they are a Canadian company, retail & mail order and I know that the hydraulic cylinders are made in Canada, Manitoba I believe. Go to www.princessauto.com and download one of there cat., also you can have their monthly sales flyers sent to you email. They do have some sort of hyd. componets on sale every month. For the guys stateside with the dollar exchange/robbery right now, they probably could save a little by buying up here. I hope this is of some help and good luck with your Cad digger.
Greg

/ Used Hydraulic Parts #4  
Just to add to Greg's statment, the store has many more items than show up in the catalogue so email contact to ask for specifics may also be an idea.

I'm in Bridgewater Greg.

Egon

/ Used Hydraulic Parts
Thanks Egon and Greg - in this great cyber-world I guess we are almost neighbours. I have checked at Princess and so far, the cylinders they have on sale do not match the specs from the plans. A local supplier is pretty close to their regualr list price and we wonder if a few extra bucks might payback in future service for us.
We are also investigating a couple of used sources. Appreciate your suggestions and, who knows, we may end up back at Princess if their next flyer has the "right" sizes.

Bob

/ Used Hydraulic Parts #6  
What a small world it truly is Egon, I'm in Falmouth right beside Windsor.
Good luck with your project Bob. I looked into getting a couple of cylinders made to order threw Princess Auto. Custom made is about 120% more expensive than off the shelf, so I decided to design around the cylinders rather than the other way around.
Keep us posted as to your progress.
Greg

/ Used Hydraulic Parts #7  
I built a backhoe several years ago and bought my cylinders from Surplus Center in Lincoln ,NB . The plans used to give instructions on how to modify the dimensions on the prints if you cant get cylinders with the same specs. Maybe that part got left out in the newer versions. Ivan

/ Used Hydraulic Parts
Thanks Ivan
You wouldn't still happen to have a copy of those modifications around, would you? How big a variance were you allowed? Did you build one from a CadPlans design or was it another source? How did it turn out? So many questions so little time /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
Thanks Bob

/ Used Hydraulic Parts #9  
Bob, I can't help you w/ used Hydraulic parts or w/ the exchange rate (I'm stateside in Maryland). But, I did recently build a FEL and bought all my hydraulic supplies including hose, couplings and cylinders from Baileynet; http://www.baileynet.com/. They have the best selection and prices of anyone I've found, and they ship quickly. Also, their support folks are pretty helpful.

Good luck w/ your project, post some pictures when you're finished.
-Bryan

/ Used Hydraulic Parts
Thanks Bryan
I have checked Bailey's and Prince but when I calculate the exchange /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and shipping cost I am only a couple of bucks different from getting cylinders locally - and if anything goes wrong it doesn't cost me $20 - $40 per cylinder to ship them back. In addition I expect I'll get some useful "free" advice from the local guy /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif (and that is important when you are a rookie like me pulling this stuff together).

Bob