Used Kubota MX5400 with added options

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options #1  

TxMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
2020 Kubota MX5400 HST, ROPS, 2020 Kubota RTV 900, 2020 Kubota RTV 500(wifeç—´ ride),
Local is taking a 2020 MX 5400 in trade, seller was talked into a tractor by friends, but quickly discovered a wheeled loader was a better choice. Dealer accepted the tractor in trade, has 20 hours, HST, loader, grapple set up all quick change, 72 in box blade medium duty, and 72in medium duty rotary cutter, R4 tires. Have not talked price yet, he said he would get it next week go over everything on the tractor and implements and call me to come look at it. As far as he knows everything is just like new, not even sure implements have been used. Grapple, box blade, and rotary cutter all Land Pride.

Any ideas on a fair price on such a package Or how much off list price would be fair?

I am not a haggle type buyer, I expect a fair price, quality product and good service. In past 10 years, from this dealership, I have purchased 3 RTV, 2 tractors, zero turn, and 5 other implements ranging from 48 to 96 , so I do expect some customer loyalty reward.

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options #2  
For a cash buyer this could be a good opportunity (assuming that zero or low Kubota financing rates will not be available to prospective buyers). I would expect the original buyer to be taking a bath of maybe 20% off what he originally paid. But supplies are disrupted now so that throws a kink in the market.

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options #3  
$28,000 would be a good price with implements and no zero down and no zero percent which comes with a new one.:2cents: I just bought a new MX5400 with a boxblade (BB was for my nephew with a 200 dollar discount for 2nd implement Kubota incentive) and I had front hyd added along with hook on bucket and loaded tires. I traded a 3 1/2 year old L3901 with front hyd and 270 hours toward new MX. I have done lots of trades with Barlows my local Kubota dealer and the loss hasn't been so great considering my use of the machine (I expect to pay a fair price per hour for using a machine) but only 20 hours isn't much use so the original buyer will lose some money but it will all depend on what he paid for it and also what kind of break the dealer will give him on the new machine. It's usually not as simple as %off when there is a trade and a buy and the write off for a business person.

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options #4  
6 months ago I bought the MX 5800 with loader, r4 tires, 3rd valve for 4 in 1 and bh. I think same tractor with bigger turbo?

All in it was just under $50K and I shopped it.

I found the low hour used tractors really had high resale prices, so high I bit the bullet and bought new.

I’m surprized by how many similar stories I’ve heard. Not uncommon.

Good luck!

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options #5  
I paid about $44K not including state tax - delivered - for a new mx5400, loaded rear r4's, 7' heavy duty 6-way blade, 3rd function, 6' grapple, 6' medium duty brushhog, pallet forks, heavy duty bucket. All landpride attachments except the pallet forks. If that comparison helps. (So three front attachments, 2 rear).

As someone said, inventory is way down, at least my dealer. He says he's never had such a clear lot because he just can't get the warez with the pandemic. So if you want something _now_ you lose some possible wiggle room in negotiations.

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options
Dealers in our area seem to be well stocked, my local dealer is part of a family owned business that includes at least 6 locations, all in a reasonable
Driving time from one another. They share inventory and parts as needed. And they say it helps being in close proximity to Kubota Corporate headquarters and their new engineering facility and test farm close by.

/ Used Kubota MX5400 with added options #7  
$28,000 would be a good price with implements and no zero down and no zero percent..... but only 20 hours isn't much use so the original buyer will lose some money but it will all depend on what he paid for it and also what kind of break the dealer will give him on the new machine. It's usually not as simple as % off when there is a trade and a buy.......

:thumbsup:

I agree with JohnThomas with my just spitballing the numbers off MSRP. (-12% + -20%). The 20 hours would not concern me at all unless there was obvious signs of misuse/abuse. Unfortunate and costly mistake for the original purchaser.

Last edited:
   / Used Kubota MX5400 with added options
Thanks for the inputs, there are lots of folks retiring and others wanting to get away from the craziness of the DFW metro areas. Some are near retirement and setting up their places for retirement in a few years are commuting until that time. The virus has also made it clear they don’t have to be at their desk everyday, and they are taking advantage when the right property comes available to make their move. Nice 10+ acre properties between DFW and the OK border don’t stay on the market long these days with low interest.