Used planter

/ Used planter #11  
Oh, ok, thanks. Someday I want to get a pto tiller and a planter so I can "farm" my three acres. :)

/ Used planter #12  
Oh, ok, thanks. Someday I want to get a pto tiller and a planter so I can "farm" my three acres. :)

Years ago when my wife put in her first garden I learned the first summer that I needed a planter and a cultivator. Well when the equipment got here the garden just gets bigger!!!

Here was last year. Wife reminded me a couple days ago we are about 5-6 weeks from gardening.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/200483-did-little-garden-cultivating-today.html

/ Used planter #13  
Real nice, but OUCH! It would take forever to get a payback on one that expensive 10 acres of corn and pumpkins a year. May be a better route though.
Is anyone else making them new for small scale guys?

Your may want to search Kijiji and Craigslist for a used planter close to home. Every winter I see at least one 7-9 row JD 71 listed for between $900 and $1500 in good condition and several other used brand name planters under $500

I plant between 2 and 3 acres of sweet corn and around 1-1/2 acres of pumpkins. I use my 71 for the corn and my Cole 12MX for the pumpkins. I think there is a 2-row JD planter right now for $200.

My kids and their friends actually do most of the planting now.
244528d1325540213-seeder-recomondations-corn-planting-03.jpg

244533d1325540513-seeder-recomondations-corn-planting-04.jpg

/ Used planter
Ken,
Ever deal with Farm Credit on financing one of those 2 row planters? Also on used vegetable transplanters?
I saw them advertising 3% interest not too long ago. If you can borrow money at 3% and your local bank is giving 3% on a savings account seems silly not to hold onto cash!

/ Used planter #15  
Ken,
Ever deal with Farm Credit on financing one of those 2 row planters? Also on used vegetable transplanters?
I saw them advertising 3% interest not too long ago. If you can borrow money at 3% and your local bank is giving 3% on a savings account seems silly not to hold onto cash!

We use agricredit and they have us on a 5K minimum and they want new equipment. Thanks, Ken

/ Used planter #16  
Ken... Or someone please help me understand what was on the row spacing and turning around and driving on the same track. If your one row planter, or center of tractor is 36" from center wheel and you turn around and drive in the same track, you will have 72" rows, not 36". It is impossible to get 36" rows with a 36" center from to wheel. If you did, you be running your tire through the row you just planted....

/ Used planter #17  
Ken... Or someone please help me understand what was on the row spacing and turning around and driving on the same track. If your one row planter, or center of tractor is 36" from center wheel and you turn around and drive in the same track, you will have 72" rows, not 36". It is impossible to get 36" rows with a 36" center from to wheel. If you did, you be running your tire through the row you just planted....

If you have a track width of 72..you plant to the end...pickup planter...turn to the right...let your right rear tire get as close to the row just planted as possible (2 inches is good)...this give you a 38 inch row. I you want to go closer....change the track width to narrower. Ken Sweet

/ Used planter #18  
Gotcha. I was under the impression that it was suggested to put the tire in the prev tire track. Please forgive my ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject.