Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
I have read people using used power poles for fence posts. Specifically,

1) what is good about used power poles?
2) what do you treat cut surfaces with?

Thanks.

/ used power pole for fence post #2  
I used old tel poles for my fence. I didn't treat them. I figure they are alrdy treated. Look how long they stand. As far as why I think they are good. It's because they were free for pickup. Even split they are thicker than most bought fence post i've seen. I don't know how long they will last. I have one fence about a year old & the other I just put up this past spring. Only time will tell.

/ used power pole for fence post #3  
At our place the previous owner had used old utility poles that had been squared for fence posts.

Squaring the posts seems to have cut the preservative off, they are rotting and falling over right and left.

Ahh well, fencing is never really ever done at our place anyhow.

/ used power pole for fence post #4  
Lots of people here use phone poles for corner and bracing posts as well as for pole barns, when they can lay their hands on them. We see the green, presumably PT ones, as well as the brown presumably cresote ones. While they both seem to have a long life.. I kind of lean towards the cresote ones.. but thats because when you do cut them, sometimes you can get center rot if the tops are squared off and rain can pool. I usually like an angled cut post, and I seal or paint the tops of all my posts with asphalt fence paint.. works great. My neighbors fence has PT flat top posts that are already hollowing out.. My angle cut asphalt painted ones look like they went in yesterday.

I'm sure the pt ones would last if angle cut and painted.. but the balck asphalt paint might look a tad yucky ont he green post. Course.. you could simply angle cut them and then paint the tops with copper napthenate post dip/paint. That should pretty much kill anything living... course.. copper napthenate cost more per 5 gallons than the cheapy asphalt fence paint..

Soundguy

/ used power pole for fence post #5  
1) They're (probably) free
2) [See Soundguy above]

Actually my dad built several sheds using creosote poles for the uprights and PT wood for beams, etc. For the most part, the cut portions of the poles (notches for beams, etc.) are still looking great after almost 30 years. I think that you would be fine for many years to come with an angle cut on top, but a small investment in a sealer will pay dividends in the future no matter what you use for your posts.

On a personal note, if you elect to work with creosote, be extra careful to avoid getting splinters. That will be the most painful splinter you will ever get. Trust me.

/ used power pole for fence post
Our city also gives used power poles free. But I have to cut them and load them on my truck myself. I have neither a chain saw nor a loader.

Would it be worth buying a chain saw and renting a loader? A 6"-8' fence post costs about $14. If this is as long-lasting and strong as used utility poles, I may not quite justify the expenses of chain saw and loader. What do you think?

/ used power pole for fence post #7  
In my area (Southern NH) it's practically impossible to get your hands on poles. If a utility gets rid of poles, usually only Non profits can get them after siging there first born away.

/ used power pole for fence post #8  
Well.. a chainsaw is not bad to have anyway. As for the loader/.. why you need a loader?

I'll also second what the the other poster said about splinters... cresote is mean stuff.. oily.. burns skin.. burns skin that other skin touches.. so don't be touching your face.. soap help cut the oily residue. Any splinters you get will burn and turn red.. any that you miss, you will find in about a day,as you won't be able to ignore them.

Soundguy

/ used power pole for fence post
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .. why you need a loader?
Soundguy )</font>

When I called the power company, they said people bring in a loader, grappler, etc to lift the poles. I assumed the poles were too heavy to lift manually.

/ used power pole for fence post #10  
Just bring a friend, or 2. Once you cut them to about 7-8 feet you can move them by hand unless you get into class 1 or 2 (BIG poles). Use the chain saw, just be careful. Knuckleheads keep pounding nails and staples into poles for garage sales and lost kittys even though it is illegal. Those are rough on a saw chain. Not a whole lot of fun on hands, legs and forearms when you are on gaffs either.

The splinters off a creosote pole are better to get than off the others. The creosote splinters will work their own way out, unless you get the 3-4 inch type /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The creosote will last longer from what I have seen than the new green pressure treated, as long as you leave the creosote on. Sometimes you can find old cedars and split them for rail fence.