Used PT's

/ Used PT's #91  
Re: Used PT\'s

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That's pretty innovative /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I like it! That’s simple but effective. I would like to echo your thoughts though, be very careful not to strip the nut, and if engine is running make sure the brake is on.

Someone on here can't remember who now, also gave me another simple, but great tip ! that I've been using. Just use your toe on the underside of the right treadle peddle to back up. Since I have been doing this I have not needed to call Terry and order the springs. Works like a charm I might add. Can back up with out being concerned of jumping the PT into something.
)</font>

I have the springs and they work nicely.

/ Used PT's #92  

I'm sure they do work well, but before anyone orders the springs give the toe under treadle a try you may find like me, you don't need the springs. I get precise control this way using only one foot, and I have a good size 12 foot / boot . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Used PT's #93  

I'm sure they do work well, but before anyone orders the springs give the toe under treadle a try you may find like me, you don't need the springs. I get precise control this way using only one foot, and I have a good size 12 foot / boot . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Used PT's #94  

I have the treadle springs and still use the "toe-under" on both sides for control. The springs just add the resistance that is normal on any machine's accelerator -- try to imagine your car with no spring tension on the gas pedal. Yeah, you could drive it and get used to it that way. But after using the accelerator with spring tension you'd never want to go back to without it. Same thing on the PT.

I got an extra bonus: seems the treadle springs slightly "hang up". That is, if you push all the way down you get 1/2 speed. If you push a little bit harder, it "clicks" past the place where the spring is hanging on the piece it mounts over. The the treadle goes all the way down. It's like a two-speed system.

Since PT sends these out for no charge it is worth trying. 30 seconds to install (if you are slow) and 30 seconds to take 'em back out. PT should include them on all machines with instructions in their oh-so-excellent owners and operators manual on how to remove, if desired.

Phil

/ Used PT's #95  

I have the treadle springs and still use the "toe-under" on both sides for control. The springs just add the resistance that is normal on any machine's accelerator -- try to imagine your car with no spring tension on the gas pedal. Yeah, you could drive it and get used to it that way. But after using the accelerator with spring tension you'd never want to go back to without it. Same thing on the PT.

I got an extra bonus: seems the treadle springs slightly "hang up". That is, if you push all the way down you get 1/2 speed. If you push a little bit harder, it "clicks" past the place where the spring is hanging on the piece it mounts over. The the treadle goes all the way down. It's like a two-speed system.

Since PT sends these out for no charge it is worth trying. 30 seconds to install (if you are slow) and 30 seconds to take 'em back out. PT should include them on all machines with instructions in their oh-so-excellent owners and operators manual on how to remove, if desired.

Phil

/ Used PT's #96  

Sounds like a good endorsement of both springs, and the toe method. A very good analogy. I was not real sure where the springs mounted. I will keep the springs in mind, if I ever find I need the extra resistance.

/ Used PT's #97  

Sounds like a good endorsement of both springs, and the toe method. A very good analogy. I was not real sure where the springs mounted. I will keep the springs in mind, if I ever find I need the extra resistance.

/ Used PT's #98  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I checked my PT yesterday and could not feel any slack in this nut. I am going to buy a 1 13/16" wrench today, to see if I can tighten this nut at all.
Do I need a backup wrench? or is the bolt welded to the frame ?, or is it a carriage bolt? or ...what ??.
I only have one strong hand, I had surgery on the other hand and it is still too tender to use for heavy duty anything.
If I need to buy 2 wrenches I will. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I just can't remember what the bottom of that bolt is like. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Your approach to two wreches gave me an idea.
While this is for those who don't care to revisit this problem very often. This nut loosening seems to be product wide.

After you get it tight it may be a good idea to put a socket over both of the connections and wire it on. If they line up that will be great.

If the two nuts don't line up another method to help keep em in place would be to. Get the joint tight and grind the wrenches so that they will meet flush back to back while on the nuts, align them and use a sharpie to draw a line across both. On both sides if possible.
Pull them off and scribe a line that will line them up more permanent. Take this to a machine shop and ask them mill em flat on both sides to accept a piece of flat bar the flat bar Tap each wrench head with a 6 mm drill flat bar to match This should be screwed in to the flats on the wrenchs and the handles removed.

The screws can go trough the wrenchs and onto the nuts once installed. Slip this over the nuts uncured rubber tape is a good product to reduce slipage and accummilation of gunk under the fixture. Tighten the screws.

Then send the documentation of work Prices and time to Power Trac so they can include it in the next revision of their manual. or phone help for the next guy or girl?

In reality the manual will probably not be rewritten.
They are selling them as they are and folks like em.

The engineers who designed it are probably gone or are busy in unrelated works and the monetary requirement is not justified to hire them to document something that is selling well.

Documentation is not a free service. The Power Trac folks are more into building than writing, appearenlty. At least they answer the phone calls.

/ Used PT's #99  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I checked my PT yesterday and could not feel any slack in this nut. I am going to buy a 1 13/16" wrench today, to see if I can tighten this nut at all.
Do I need a backup wrench? or is the bolt welded to the frame ?, or is it a carriage bolt? or ...what ??.
I only have one strong hand, I had surgery on the other hand and it is still too tender to use for heavy duty anything.
If I need to buy 2 wrenches I will. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I just can't remember what the bottom of that bolt is like. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Your approach to two wreches gave me an idea.
While this is for those who don't care to revisit this problem very often. This nut loosening seems to be product wide.

After you get it tight it may be a good idea to put a socket over both of the connections and wire it on. If they line up that will be great.

If the two nuts don't line up another method to help keep em in place would be to. Get the joint tight and grind the wrenches so that they will meet flush back to back while on the nuts, align them and use a sharpie to draw a line across both. On both sides if possible.
Pull them off and scribe a line that will line them up more permanent. Take this to a machine shop and ask them mill em flat on both sides to accept a piece of flat bar the flat bar Tap each wrench head with a 6 mm drill flat bar to match This should be screwed in to the flats on the wrenchs and the handles removed.

The screws can go trough the wrenchs and onto the nuts once installed. Slip this over the nuts uncured rubber tape is a good product to reduce slipage and accummilation of gunk under the fixture. Tighten the screws.

Then send the documentation of work Prices and time to Power Trac so they can include it in the next revision of their manual. or phone help for the next guy or girl?

In reality the manual will probably not be rewritten.
They are selling them as they are and folks like em.

The engineers who designed it are probably gone or are busy in unrelated works and the monetary requirement is not justified to hire them to document something that is selling well.

Documentation is not a free service. The Power Trac folks are more into building than writing, appearenlty. At least they answer the phone calls.

/ Used PT's #100  

>>>The one on the PT422 built in 2000 is 1 and 13/16 inches. I suggest you call Terry to make sure.<<<

Sorry for the late response, just for any 180 owners out there, this wrench does fit the large center nut. Someone stated they tightened this nut once after they got the machine, and there after it pretty much stayed that way. Is this anyone else's experience? Or will it always come loose over time?