used tractor hours

/ used tractor hours #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I've been lurking around here a week or so and have learned a lot. I'm a city boy, but I bought 40 acres (about 4 clear the rest trees) in beautiful north Texas. I need a tractor to maintain and improve it.

I'm thinking about a compact, like a Kubota, New Holland or even a Kioti. I wish I could just go buy a new one, but funds are a bit tight so I'm considering the used route. I intend to get one with a loader, and for the time being, the only other implement I think I'll need is a bush hog.

I'm fairly "mechanical", used to be a shadetree mechanic and like to do as much of my own maintenance as possible. But I realize that some problems a tractor will eventually have will be beyond my skill/tool level.

So, my question. How many hours is too many (on a used machine) if you expect your tractor to go a few more years without major repairs? I'm not worried about the odd little problem, I mean serious stuff. How many hours of use do these tractors usually provide before they start shelling out? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ used tractor hours #2  
This has been discussed quite a bit in the past, and no one can give a definitive answer for several reasons. In the "compact" tractor class, most are a relatively new product; haven't been around long enough to really know. And many compact tractors are owned by homeowners who only put 100 to 200 hours a year on them. Farmer neighbors in my area seemed to agree that an engine overhaul is in order for the bigger tractors in 7k to 10k hours. In my opinion, the kind of use a tractor has had, and especially the kind of routine maintenance it's had, and whether it's been stored inside or outside, are more important than the number of hours it's been used.

So . . ., now that I've been no help /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, I'll tell you that if I were looking for a used one, I'd want to very carefully check out everything on any used one, but especially anything that had over 3k hours on it. I'd be surprised to find any major problem on a properly maintained tractor with fewer hours.

/ used tractor hours #3  
I had a used tractor, but when I needed to trade up, I thought I'd go used, again. I did get some new prices for comparison, and got a surpriseL used were often MORE than new...

With the current incentives, that may hold true for you. What I am saying, is, don't forget to check out both routes, you might be surprised. And my other surprise, was that my best deal was on Green, in spite of their rep as the high price leader. In your area, some other brand could be your best buy....

/ used tractor hours
Thanks Bird, yes I should have stated that I realize that maintenance and usage account for a lot - I suppose I will use a yardstick similar to that I would use buying a used car. That would be going somewhat on appearance. If something is beat to heck on the outside, it probably is on the inside too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for new/used - I have done a reasonable amount of price checking and it seems like I can get a reasonably used machine (say, less than 1000 hours) for about 30% less than a new one. Believe me, I'd rather just get a new one because I would maintain it right - but cost is a concern.

Thanks again for your thoughts, 7k to an overhaul is a useful guideline....

/ used tractor hours #5  
Check out the used tractors, unless you really like payments.
I recently bought a 1968 International 2444 (industrial version of 444) with nice heavy loader, 1200 lbs of rear end weight, and a 6 ft brush hog for 4,000. 38 HP PTO, 3800 lbs (without attachments), seperate front mounted pump for loader, 2 stage clutch, differential lock,loaded rear tires. runs/works nice, All in all a very nice sized utility tractor. I have a friend that has one, and I liked it so well that I bought one for myself.

/ used tractor hours #6  
It's true that the larger tractors don't seem to hold their value nearly as much. You can buy a big one cheaper than a small one if you're buying used. About 7 years ago, one of my neighbors bought an old Oliver 1755 (85hp) for $5,000 and it had over 5,000 hours on it. I don't know how many hours it has now, but it's still going strong and I know it's been used a lot. I spent two summers cutting and baling hay with it myself.

/ used tractor hours #7  
I don't know what part of N. Tx you are in, or if you might consider buying from a dealer. I have been noticing that my dealer, McMaster New Holland in Decatur, TX has a good selection of used tractors in several sizes and ages. I haven't looked at any of them, but if you are interested, you might check them out. If you will tell us your general area, someone might be able to put you onto a good deal. North TX is a big place and you didn't say how far you might be willing to drive to look at a tractor. Good luck.

/ used tractor hours
Thanks for the input guys.

I live in north Dallas, my country property is between Whitesboro and Sadler, about 10 miles south of Texoma near 377.

Decatur is definitely not too far to drive. On the web I found a place in Sunnyvale called tnt-tractor that has several used tractors for sale and the prices seem fair. I intend to visit them soon, but will be happy to add other places within 70 miles or so of Dallas to the list /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ used tractor hours #9  
How about filling in your bio so we know a little more about you and your property? It'll help some with the responses, but mostly we're just nosy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I stop by T-N-T all the time just to look. They do have quite a selection, but I gotta tell you, there are few bargains (there is a nice L295DT), and you've got to drag the sales guy out of his chair to ask him anything. Most of there stuff is auction items and dealer trade-ins that the dealer didn't want. That being said, they have quite a selection from sub-compacts to big ag tractors, dozers and t-l-b's. Worth the drive.

I bought my used L345 last year from J&K Equipment in Wylie. They are north of town on FM 1378, 972-442-3228. Be prepared to dicker (I wasn't) and you should be able to get a good deal. He (David Roberts) has a good selection, also.

/ used tractor hours #10  
slowrev,
My dad owned a IH 444 many a year ago. It was the newest most modern tractor we had growing up on the farm.
It had no loader or anything, just a big red, 2WD diesel with 3PH and an open Sims cab (yellow)
God, how I used to love driving that tractor, I'd be out raking and tedding hay till well after dark, cause this tractor actually had lights /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyway enough of my rambling and dragging this thread of track. Do you have any pictures of 2444, it would be nice to see what the 444's cousin looks like.