Used Value vs Age

/ Used Value vs Age #341  
Nuclear is a great option power wise, but the issue is the time it takes to create a viable plant. No one wants to do it because it is way more expensive than currently available NG plants. The ROI is bad. That said, perhaps taxpayers should fund it...but I really hate letting the government manage anything. They just suck at it.
Seems like the private electric utilities in Texas also kinda suck at building facilities that can handle cold weather.

/ Used Value vs Age #342  
Cop out? o_O

Ok, so in your world, we manufacture widgets under strict pollution guidelines, at a much more costly rate.
Meanwhile China, India, Mexico produce same widgets without strict pollution guidelines at a much cheaper rate.

Now seriously, how long do you think we can compete for consumers worldwide or domestically if our widgets are the same widgets, but cost more?

Any idea what that will do to our manufacturing sector?
Labor costs including benefits affects US product competitiveness much more than environmental regulations. This is evident even in manufacturing of products not affected by environmental regulations. I wear Whites boots for work. They are 100% US made and they cost $500/pair due to the hand labor involved and wages for skilled workers. I also own some Allen Edmonds dress shoes made in Wisconsin at $400/pair. A nice wool cruiser jacket made by Filson in Seattle is $500. None of the manufacturers have facilities that involve pollution regulations, but these products can’t compete with mass manufacturers in Asia or Mexico at much cheaper labor costs. Also, I visited a Ford production plant in Chihuahua Mexico three years ago. The people conducting the tour were proud to explain that this modern plant exceeded the environmental standards of some of their US plants.

/ Used Value vs Age #343  
Candidly, I don't much care one way or another currently because I have no intention of selling either of my M9's, but when I do, will be nice to see them bring as much as possible and the way the market is progressing, they are retaining the value and increasing as the currency is worth less, or should I say worthless.

/ Used Value vs Age #344  
Except we aren’t choking the economy. Solar, wind and natural gas energy is driving down electricity costs.
Wind energy is a losing proposition when you take away the subsidies. Amazing how "environmentalists" support wind mills considering how many eagles and other birds are killed. If it was a coal plant taking out so many large birds they would be screaming to shut them down... oh, wait.

/ Used Value vs Age #345  
What? Non of the pre emissions 1970s vehicles I owned got more than 20 mpg. Now we’re driving vehicles with 30-40 mpg (except trucks).
Do you think maybe electronic fuel injection and computer controls may have helped with that?

/ Used Value vs Age #347  
Wind energy is a losing proposition when you take away the subsidies. Amazing how "environmentalists" support wind mills considering how many eagles and other birds are killed. If it was a coal plant taking out so many large birds they would be screaming to shut them down... oh, wait.
The subsidies are largely gone for wind. In my region wind farms are everywhere in the eastern part of my state, and Texas is covered with them. We also have huge solar farms and all coal plants have either been closed, converted, or scheduled for conversion to natural gas. Natural gas , wind and solar together are far cheaper than coal in 2022. Our largest power company says that when they convert the last coal plant in the state to natural gas in 2023, they will save $10m per year in costs.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #348  
Gas compression plants went down to a large degree because the compressors had been converted to electric motors. When the electricity goes down, so does the gas compression. In the old days the compressors were driven by natural gas fueled engines.

/ Used Value vs Age #349  
Labor costs including benefits affects US product competitiveness much more than environmental regulations. This is evident even in manufacturing of products not affected by environmental regulations. I wear Whites boots for work. They are 100% US made and they cost $500/pair due to the hand labor involved and wages for skilled workers. I also own some Allen Edmonds dress shoes made in Wisconsin at $400/pair. A nice wool cruiser jacket made by Filson in Seattle is $500. None of the manufacturers have facilities that involve pollution regulations, but these products can’t compete with mass manufacturers in Asia or Mexico at much cheaper labor costs. Also, I visited a Ford production plant in Chihuahua Mexico three years ago. The people conducting the tour were proud to explain that this modern plant exceeded the environmental standards of some of their US plants.
First off, I really don't care about your $2500 wardrobe (my boots sure wouldn't be white after one day of work), but I digress.

The biggest issue I have with environmentalist (like you I'm guessing after your posts) is the lack of "environmental awareness" y'all have when it comes to these new fangled "green" energies. Several posts here asked questions that were not answered or were po-poo'd as something that shouldn't be asked.

Browse through a couple (#'s 130, 134, 202, 203, 241 & 243) that are relevant to your previous posts and then answer some of the questions that y'all won't or deflect on e.g. solar toxicity, bird chopping, nuclear etc. I am not a university lounge lizard but I do have a bit of knowledge when it comes to research and have seen way too much research being thrown around that when you really look at it, is flawed, is peer reviewed by known activist organizations, has "f" values that would have been laughed at and mocked by statistics professors when I was in school, etc.

/ Used Value vs Age #350  
First off, I really don't care about your $2500 wardrobe (my boots sure wouldn't be white after one day of work), but I digress.

The biggest issue I have with environmentalist (like you I'm guessing after your posts) is the lack of "environmental awareness" y'all have when it comes to these new fangled "green" energies. Several posts here asked questions that were not answered or were po-poo'd as something that shouldn't be asked.

Browse through a couple (#'s 130, 134, 202, 203, 241 & 243) that are relevant to your previous posts and then answer some of the questions that y'all won't or deflect on e.g. solar toxicity, bird chopping, nuclear etc. I am not a university lounge lizard but I do have a bit of knowledge when it comes to research and have seen way too much research being thrown around that when you really look at it, is flawed, is peer reviewed by known activist organizations, has "f" values that would have been laughed at and mocked by statistics professors when I was in school, etc.
I am a professional forester, so by definition I am a conservationist. I have stated my thoughts on this topic and have no desire to engage in a tit for tat discussion on this topic. Grind your axe elsewhere.