Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc?

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You snooze, you lose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I checked on the used disc on Friday and it was already sold. )</font>

See it was a good buy and someone else didn't hesitate.

Good luck next time /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #22  
Definitely add weight, I have a 5' KK type model with the serrated edges and by it self, does nothing to the ground, and barely does anything after the soil has been plowed. I added a good size rock to the back chained her down, and it was night and day difference. Almost made me feel like I knew what I was doing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Still I had to make several passes, but it worked. Attached is a pic I disc'd this past weekend, and no plow was used before. Granted this a food plot for deer and not designed for ag purposes.

Attachments

• 890968-Upper plot pic 2 resize.jpg
    890968-Upper plot pic 2 resize.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 346
   / Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #23  
Definitely add weight, I have a 5' KK type model with the serrated edges and by it self, does nothing to the ground, and barely does anything after the soil has been plowed. I added a good size rock to the back chained her down, and it was night and day difference. Almost made me feel like I knew what I was doing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Still I had to make several passes, but it worked. Attached is a pic I disc'd this past weekend, and no plow was used before. Granted this a food plot for deer and not designed for ag purposes.

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #24  
Does your disc allow you to angle the discs to cut and tear better??

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #25  
Does your disc allow you to angle the discs to cut and tear better??

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #26  
if you can find a small wheel disk 7to 8ft your 45 horse should handle it i have had a 3pt 7ft for years took forever to work the ground for food plots. found a 8ft wheel disk 2 years ago and my kubota 4330 pulled it fine in low 4wd works the ground much better in 1/3rd time. hard to find the small ones but worth it . will need rear remotes to operate cylinder.

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #27  
if you can find a small wheel disk 7to 8ft your 45 horse should handle it i have had a 3pt 7ft for years took forever to work the ground for food plots. found a 8ft wheel disk 2 years ago and my kubota 4330 pulled it fine in low 4wd works the ground much better in 1/3rd time. hard to find the small ones but worth it . will need rear remotes to operate cylinder.

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #28  
<font color="blue"> if you can find a small wheel disk 7to 8ft your 45 horse should handle it i have had a 3pt 7ft for years took forever to work the ground for food plots. found a 8ft wheel disk 2 years ago and my kubota 4330 pulled it fine in low 4wd works the ground much better in 1/3rd time. hard to find the small ones but worth it . will need rear remotes to operate cylinder.
</font>

I agree bigdeer. I have both a pickup disc and a 8" wheel disc. The wheel disc does a much better job, however, the pickup disc has its place. When working in small plots without much turnaround room the pickup is the only answer.

Where is your farm in Tennessee? I live in the Nashville area and have a farm in Stewart County.

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #29  
<font color="blue"> if you can find a small wheel disk 7to 8ft your 45 horse should handle it i have had a 3pt 7ft for years took forever to work the ground for food plots. found a 8ft wheel disk 2 years ago and my kubota 4330 pulled it fine in low 4wd works the ground much better in 1/3rd time. hard to find the small ones but worth it . will need rear remotes to operate cylinder.
</font>

I agree bigdeer. I have both a pickup disc and a 8" wheel disc. The wheel disc does a much better job, however, the pickup disc has its place. When working in small plots without much turnaround room the pickup is the only answer.

Where is your farm in Tennessee? I live in the Nashville area and have a farm in Stewart County.

/ Used vs. New disc harrow? Smooth or Serated disc? #30  
hobby farmer i'm located just south of nashville, marshall county