Usefulness of dump trailer?

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #1  

blunosr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000, Ford 5000, Massey Ferguson 1080, Bobcat A300
Hi, I'm designing and thinking of building a dump trailer to tow with my tractor (Kubota MX5000, 50hp, 4wd). I have a very small gravel pit on my land, and I thought it would be better to haul gravel in a trailer, than just bucketfuls. Now that I'm starting to consider materials and price, I'm also considering the price of having gravel delivered ($75/dump truck load). Hmm...

Are there lots of uses for dump trailers? For any of you who have one, how often do you use it? Would it be worth the cost of building ($1000-1500)?

I'm planning one like this one:
2 Ton Farm Dump Trailer - YouTube

Thanks,

Troy

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #2  
That thought passed through my head once or twice also. The biggest issue I had was it seemed like a big hassle if the tractor you pull with is also the one with the FEL on the front since you'd need to unhitch/re-hitch for every load. Figured my place is small enough it's about as easy to move stuff one bucket at a time.

The trailer would let you move material to/from places a dump truck couldn't go, or for longer distances. But if you can get material delivered for $75/load, that's a great bargain.

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #3  
Whether or not is a financial viable investment only you can decide. I have an EZ Dumper 4 ton trailer (tandem wheels) that I bought about 15-16 years ago. I haul gravel and spread it on my driveways and I am using it to mine dirt and soil for the runway that I have. I have added about 250' so far with this trailer and a Kubota L2900 FEL & backhoe. I sold the 2900 this August and bought an MX 5100 HST 4WD without a backhoe. The 3 pt. backhoes just don't have the reach I require, so rent I a full size one or a trackhoe. I would not trade my tractor or the dumper for anything except a new MB SLS AMG! I do tow the dump trailer with my MX, it was too much of a load for the 2900. I have been cleaning one of my ponds this year with the MX and then composting the muck for topsoil to use on the runway and other areas. The dump trailer is great for hauling large loads of whatever. I have tiedown rings installed in it so I can transport a lot of stuff. It has fold down sides that allow egress from the sides. This is very helpful for unloading pallets of sod. The trailer has dual hydraulic cylinders which allow me to dump on an angle if necessary as I don't have to worry about binding. For me it was an easy decision, the fun of the do it yourself factor and no dependency upon the trucking industry for hauling my rock, etc. If we break down everything that we have based upon cost most of it would be more financially effective to rent or pay someone else to do it.

/ Usefulness of dump trailer?
I should have clarified, I also have a bobcat to load the trailer with. The furthest I'd have to haul is 2500' one way. This summer I hauled about 20 bucket loads of gravel to make a pad for my wood shed, and I have lots of other re-contouring projects in mind. That's what got me to thinking about this.

Bye for now,

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #5  
Since your tractor can handle it, I would go with a dump trailer that can be used both on and off road. Much more practicle and better resale then an off road only type. There are always ones for sale on Craigslist, at least in the New England area. I personally would look for a good used one.

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #6  
Are there lots of uses for dump trailers? For any of you who have one, how often do you use it? Would it be worth the cost of building ($1000-1500)?

I'm planning one like this one:
2 Ton Farm Dump Trailer - YouTube

Thanks,

Troy
I like that one in the video, are you thinking you could build one like that for ~$1500? Do you have plans or just going to make them up as you go? I may have to build one like that myself.

Mike

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #7  
Years ago I made a gravity dump trailer from some galvanized guard rail, old cut out axle from a car, and pressure treated wood for the bed. 6x6x2 I would load it with my mini backhoe and haul it and spread it with my '48 Farmall cub. It dumped nicely sitting above the tires and pivoting to dump when I unlocked the body. I had old spare doughnut tires on it. I used it to build a road around my barn.

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #8  
Since your tractor can handle it, I would go with a dump trailer that can be used both on and off road. Much more practicle and better resale then an off road only type. There are always ones for sale on Craigslist, at least in the New England area. I personally would look for a good used one.

I will second looking for a good used one. I bought a PJ 6.5x14' 14,000 lb dump trailer in like new condition (paint still in great shape in bed) for $4000. this spring. That is about 1/2 the cost of new, couldn't build it for that with free labor.

/ Usefulness of dump trailer? #9  
I bought a great 14' dump wagon on Craig's list last summer for $800 and I use it a lot. A friend about a mile away gave me some great top soil from dredging a pond. I needed it to cover fill dirt from our house construction in an area that we want to garden. After I got that spread I went about 4 miles and got 2 year old horse manure that looks more like dirt than manure. We have also allowed leaves and chips to be dumped in piles to compost on our land and that is getting in pretty good shape now so we hauled several wagon loads of that material for large flower beds. At $800 if I ever get to the point that I am not using it I can always get my money out of it. In our area 12 to 14 foot dump wagons sell on Craig's list for $600 to $1500 dollars. The dump and bed part are mounted on a farm wagon so top speed behind the pickup is about 25 miles an hour.

Attachments

• DSC00330.JPG
    DSC00330.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 521
   / Usefulness of dump trailer? #10  
I have a 7,500 gvw dump trailer. I started hauling from my sister's gravel pit 4 miles away, but even hauling with my pickup I eventually figured it was better to pay a neighbor $80 for a 12 yard load vs making 8 trailer trips to haul the same. I still find a lot of use for the general hauling trash, old hay, manure for my garden, and it also holds my 2 ton mini-excavator so I can have my tractor, mini, and trailer on a job site.