uses for used motor oil?

/ uses for used motor oil? #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
I was thinking of 2 possible uses for used motor oil;
1. In a hydraulic system.
seams like even used motor oil has got to be better than many hydraulic oils since it is a much higher grade of oil to start with. Could this cause damage? I don't see how having suspended carbon in the oil would hurt anything and the loss of additives would mean nothing to hydraulic oil.
2. Well diluted in diesel fuel.
I've heard of people burning straight ATF, so it seams like I could burn used motor oil at 10:1 or so without any harm

I'd rather not go through the hassle of properly recycling it if I don't have to, and if I can get away with using it in place of something that would cost $4 a gallon or even $20 a gallon, all that much better, but it certainly isn't worth risking the equipment if it isn't safe.

What do you guys think?

/ uses for used motor oil? #2  
The stuff that accumulates in oil thus warranting removal and replacement is not something you'd want running through your fuel system and turning your injectors into dribblers.

/ uses for used motor oil? #3  
I would be concerned about adverse effects on seals, etc. in a hydraulic system. Most HST tractors use the same sump for both the hydraulics and the transmission. It's my understanding that using the wrong oils in HST's can lead to problems.

Diluting old oil in the fuel, as a means of disposing of it, and getting some fuel value out of it may be an OK idea. If I were to try it, I would want to make sure I filtered it very well before putting it in my fuel tank. I know the fuel gets filtered before going to the injectors, I but I wouldn't want to crap up my fuel filter.

I'm certainly no expert. Anyone else got thought on this?

/ uses for used motor oil? #4  
I use it to coat wooden forms when pouring concrete. Makes removal of the forms very easy. No thank you on the hydraulic fluid or diluted form in the fuel..it is full of nasty things, that is why you change it out of the crankcase.:)

/ uses for used motor oil?
I am pretty sure you can safely more than double the like of motor oil by changing the filter and adding an additive package. I've read about OTR fleets doing that on more than one occasion. Oil goes bad when the additives are used up. There shouldn't be any gobs of stuff in it if the filter is doing its job. Any "floaties" will be microscopic.

The hydraulic system I was thinking of using it in is separate from the transmission and calls for 30wt (previous owner ran hydraulic fluid, I've been running cheap motor oil). I wouldn't put it in the little Kubota.

/ uses for used motor oil? #6  
I would not use it to replace the average hyd oil. Some old eastern Europe tractors might be set up for such use.

In the old days you could filter the oil well and use it 1 to 10 or so in the fuel. Makes it smoke a little more. The new high-tolerance fuel delivery systems I'd be nervious messing up the spendy parts of the fuel pump and rail.

--->Paul

/ uses for used motor oil? #7  
Hi all

Used motor oil is good for pouring onto wooden fence posts to prevent termites. Pour straight oil into the ground around the base of the post and you can also add kerosene or turps to the oil to thin it out and then spray posts with it.

Mike

/ uses for used motor oil? #8  
I used used motor oil as bar oil in the chainsaw. worked well. Used two gallons in 4 years. Recycled the rest at Autozone Fuel systems and hydraulic systems have many very expensive parts compared to cost of a few gallons of new oil and a little time and gas to recycle used oil.

/ uses for used motor oil? #9  
Used engine oil would be bad for a hydraulic system because of the contaminants. What does an engine system run - 40 - 60 psi? A medium pressure hydro will run at 4,500 psi and a high pressure system 6,000 psi. Soot isn't the only thing in old engine oil - bits of gears, bearings, etc. You are right - engine oil is great hydraulic oil - if you can afford it. I was at the Cat dealer in Dubai and saw them draining their new 45 ton hydraulic excavator factory fill oil and replacing it with 15W-40 engine oil. My Cat mini-excavator book says to switch to 15W-40 engine oil whenever the daytime highs are consistently over 40C (104F).

/ uses for used motor oil?
I used used motor oil as bar oil in the chainsaw. worked well. Used two gallons in 4 years. Recycled the rest at Autozone Fuel systems and hydraulic systems have many very expensive parts compared to cost of a few gallons of new oil and a little time and gas to recycle used oil.

I'm surprised it works well. Bar oil has "stickiness" additives in it.