Using a front end loader effectively

/ Using a front end loader effectively #31  
A grapple won't work on pine needles unless there's large enough sticks to bind with the material to engage the grapple teeth.

I'm not thinking of a full grapple, but rather one of those half grapple things that clamps down on top of an FEL bucket. Not sure what they're called.

/ Using a front end loader effectively #32  
I'm not thinking of a full grapple, but rather one of those half grapple things that clamps down on top of an FEL bucket. Not sure what they're called.

an Add A Grapple?

I'd think something like that, but with the grapple tines modified to have a smooth edge (perhaps by strapping/bolting a bucket-width long board to the tines) rather than the independent tines would do the trick. It'd be sort of like turning the tines into the broom from the earlier analogy. ...which would also end up being a bit like the 4-in-1 bucket suggestion.

While I haven't dealt with pine needles (yet) based on other light-ish materials I have worked with I'd think either idea would work - especially when paired with approaching the pile from alternating directions.

....actually if space allows it *might* make things easier to leave the pine needles in a windrow rather than a pile. I'm just thinking of the times I've used a grapple to rake up long windrows of green vegetation (mostly tall weeds) that I'd pulled out and into windrows with a box blade. Using the grapple like I was trying push the windrow into a pile made the windrow turn into a pile in the bottom of the grapple ..... at which point I'd closed the lid and hauled the load off.

Without trying it I don't know how well that technique would work on pine needles (especially short ones), but I figured it was worth sharing just to provide a different perspective. As an engineer I've learned that some times even a "dumb" idea can help spur discovery of a great idea just by changing how a person thinks about the task/problem.

/ Using a front end loader effectively #33  
When I had my bucket on the FEL - pile of gravel or dirt - come in flat on the ground. Push the bucket part way into the pile - begin to curl up, lift and drive forward. All at the same time. What you get is what you get. Practice, practice, etc.

/ Using a front end loader effectively #34  
Im still fairly new to tractors, I had alot of trouble with my FEL and picking up material. Ive since learned that the majority of the problem has nothing to do with my lack of experience to operate the loader but instead the tractors inability to gain traction for the material I was attempting to move.

My point is if you cant move the material than get a larger tractor or be satisfied with carrying a much smaller load than your bucket will carry with some materials.

/ Using a front end loader effectively #35  
The reality is that these tractors are not neither a bulldozer nor an industrial loader. They are not meant go to a compacted pile of material and dig it out... That's just a way to cause problems faster in the future.

Most people think that because the tractor has a loader, it can move the world, but it can't.

If you force the tractor to dig a pile of material, you're really just risking having to replace the front diff or breaking other stuff.

/ Using a front end loader effectively #36  
I'm a new tractor owner and I'm not very good at using a loader. For example, if I try to scoop soil or rocks from a large pile I'm not always able to get a full scoop. I also can't pick up a large rock out in a field. (I don't have a problem with a pile of fluffy stuff like compost).

Anyway, what is the proper technique for using the FEL--at what angle should I set the loader when I approach the pile; do I scoop from the top or bottom of the pile, etc.

Thanks
Steve

I got my practice early on with my first tractor, a JD 4010 (like a 2019E today, if they made it). Ordered it from the dealer with a tooth bar. Went to work spreading 22 tons of gravel down my tractor paths to keep from sliding down the hill later on.

The trick is to coordinate the FEL dipping and curling and forward motion. I'd dig right into the side of a big pile of gravel. You also need lots of throttle, near full PTO rpm. Never used the diff lock for that, but it's a good suggestion.

I usually go for about 30 to 45 degrees on the bucket tilt and go forward with a slow curl all at the same time. Even with the slow FEL on the 4010 (the 2025's is much faster), it worked good. Works even in soft earth. Forget it if the earth is even a bit hard. The bucket is just too wide for much dirt digging. The tooth bar will help on dirt, but not much. For harder dirt, you probably want to point the bucket (with tooth bar) straight down and have the FEL on float and just rough it up a lot first. Then try some digs.

For mulch, go for the bottom of the pile: no curl, just flat. Curl when you think you have a full bucket. Can raise and tilt the bucket back and go a 2nd time. Beware of raising too much or doing it if the tractor is tilted at all to one side. DANGER!

Ralph