Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe?

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #91  
Yep... found similar in kitchen sink... mostly grease though.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #92  
Kitchen sink was always slow, I could help it some by pouring a kettle of hot water down it every so often to dissolve the grease, it would help some but not a lot.

Fast forward to kitchen reno three years ago. Pulled cabinets etc. and plumber removes old sink (with glued non-disassembleable trap) by cutting just under the basket with a sawzall.

I get home from work that day and am looking around at what they got done and I look inside the trap.

There were four dinner knives in the trap, not our pattern. I tried one against the slots in the sink basket (now in the front yard) and they were a perfect fit.

When my plumber installed the new sink, I insisted he use a trap I could take apart.

I love butterknife stories.
A co-worker of mine in I.T. got a call for a desktop PC that wasn't working. He opened it up and found a butterknife laying on the motherboard.... the user said the fan was making a noise that annoyed him, so he tipped the PC up and started poking it with a butterknife, and lost his grip. The knife fell into the computer. So he set it back down, turned it on, and it smoked! :laughing:

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #93  
I love butterknife stories.
A co-worker of mine in I.T. got a call for a desktop PC that wasn't working. He opened it up and found a butterknife laying on the motherboard.... the user said the fan was making a noise that annoyed him, so he tipped the PC up and started poking it with a butterknife, and lost his grip. The knife fell into the computer. So he set it back down, turned it on, and it smoked! :laughing:

Well that is a problem... once the smoke gets out there is no way to get it back...

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #95  
I had a slow laundry standpipe a few decades/houses ago that would overflow with <1/2 gallon of water poured in. I diverted the discharge hose out a window for a few YEARS before looking into the old-school 2" cast iron trap to see what was up. I still have the screwdriver I pulled out of the pipe, but threw away the large lint art piece. The drain has worked great ever since according to the current resident.

When city water/sewer was put in there 'prior', there was a 90^ turn made by cementing 6" clay tile to the 4" CI of the original and new lines, creating a low spot that clogged easily. I could snake it from the roof thru' the 4" closet vent but got tired of the hassle. Trimming back to tidy pipe I glued up a short PVC leg between two 45s and tied them to the CI with "fernco" rubber/clamp bits. Only snaked once since from the roof and I easily slid more than half of a 100'-er thru' my repair. Judy says there hasn't been an issue since '89 when she moved in.

The house I'm in had the worst kit sink drain I'd ever seen. Pouring hot water in never did much to help, so I looked into replacing the basket strainers, trap and tailpiece. Turns out that someone had installed that cheesy accordion pipe crap and with 1/2" or more back-pitch going into the wall and raising the weir.

Relevant: the last septic I serviced had had its clay inlet 'T' shattered, apparently by ramming a snake in, but it must have been done before a remodel as the gawdawful in-slab routing/venting precluded access w/o removing the lid. The tank was a puny concrete 750 gal or less with a single chamber, so we could only re-build both in & out 'T's with PVC. I urged adding a tank vent due to lousy venting indoors, but owner balked and drains still gurgle. I surmise it's because none of the venting is right. I've never seen a snake that could harm PVC pipe (Sch-40 at least), but someone might have one of several hp, and stuff happens. :rolleyes:

Moss, tiny electrolytics like in the video are why so many HP laptop cheapo Mobos failed. Some (6000s IIRC) were legend for just that.

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #96  
I quote----I've never seen a snake that could harm PVC pipe (Sch-40 at least), but someone might have one of several hp, and stuff happens.

I would agree, especially in a wet clogged plumbing environment since after all it is more or less 'lubricated' or water cooled.

OK, if the snake is rotated at a high speed friction could create heat but I've never seen a powered snake that spins fast.

I might also add that this discussions stinks, LOL

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #97  
High School amateur radio club back in '64 had a sign in the radio shack said "TUNE FOR MAXIMUM SMOKE".

/ Using a metal snake on ABS plastic drain pipe? #98  
I too have the same problem block drain but have been unable to track it down so I sympathize with your wish. Hopefully, someone can help!!!

Last edited: