Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #11  
Re: Using a \"Mr. Heater\" in Curtis Cab

Inspector,

Maybe a hand warmer? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab

PineRidge, I was concerned about the carbon monoxide issue as well. But the Curtis Cab, like most add on cabs, provides far from an air tight seal. The doors fit well and seal fairly well but there are multiple small air gaps. In addition, there is no seal on the bottom as lots of fresh air enters around the seat, hydrualic controls, etc.

I'm the last one who wants to collapse inside my cab from carbon monoxide poisoning. Now my wife, that's a different story. She was opposed to me getting the cab. It would be the ulitmate way for her to get back at me. She could tell all of her friends at my funeral that she was right, the no-good bastard never should have bought that cab.

It just seems that if these heaters produced the deadly gas at such high levels that the manufacturer wouldn't be allowed to market them safe for indoor and outdoor use such as cabins, campers and tents. Both units have an automatic low oxygen shut off system.

It just seems that there is plenty of fresh air coming in. I know that if I shut the heater fan off the temperature drops rather quickly.

There was another point that I didn't mention with my original post. The Curtis heater, while it puts out a lot of heat, is quite noisy especially in the high fan speed.

In the end I probably will just install the heater I've already paid for. But if I didn't already own it I'd be inclinded to give one of the propane heaters a try.

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #13  

TCowner,

I don't know if you remember or not but I think it was channel 5 in the twin cities had a documentary on people standing on the back of their boats and falling in and drowning. They never could figure out why these people, who are good swimmers would drown just from falling out the back of their boats. After a young kid fell in and someone saved him they could not bring him back to life to easy and found he was full of carbon monoxide. They went back to some of these guys that they thought drowned and found they actually were full of carbon monoxide. To me that is about as well ventilated as you can get and yet carbon monoxide was bad enough for them to pass out on.

My insurance company at work won't even allow me touch them type of heaters to install anyplace.

It is up to you but I think your taking a risk.

murph

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #14  

One last point that I forgot to mention is the fact that any gas burning appliance is also going to emit large quantities of water vapor during the combustion process. I don't think that you want to deal with fogged windows in the winter not to mention moisture inside the cab that might do other damage once you exit the cab and it might have a chance to freeze. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just don't think your gas fired heater is the safest solution to your needs. We don't want to lose you at TBN either.

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #15  

When I had a CJ5 Jeep.. I've saw that they made 12v heaters to put in the jeep's cab. Maybe one of those would work okay..

/ Using a "Mr. Heater" in Curtis Cab #16  

After reading this post I wanted to pass on an idea that I had to keep warm on my tractor that I haven't seen mentioned yet
on this forum. I have ridden motorcycles for a number of years and once you get down below say 40 degrees or so it gets mighty cold on motorcycle because you are exposed to the wind. To help with this you can get heated clothing - I have never actually used the stuff but I have a number of friends who ride in inclement weather who say the stuff works great. You can get everything from simple heated vest to a full jacket, gloves, and pants and I believe even socks. For further info check out the Gerbing site here - they make a complete line and are highly recommended by the motorcycle guys. The stuff all runs on 12 volts so it would work fine on a tractor. A lot easier to install than all the work entailed in putting in a heater - you just have to put it on.