Rake Using a yard rake.

/ Using a yard rake. #1  

mark4Jesus

Silver Member
Tractor
2021 Branson 2610h
I am using a yard/landscape rake to prepare ground for seeding. I have bush hogged the area and now am using the yard rake to tear up the roots of the underbrush. The rake has several adjustments, which is what my questions are about. Does adjusting the angle of the rake help? Also when adjusting the top link is it better to have the rake frame parallel with the ground, or hitch end higher or lower. I hope that made sense!

/ Using a yard rake. #2  
Mark - I don't own a rake - But I believe it would be similar to what you would want for a mower or a box blade in that you want the hitch end tipped down slightly which allows the dirt or grass an exit path away from the implement - Good Providence!

/ Using a yard rake. #3  
Angling the rake relative to the direction of travel will empty stuff off the the trailing side but more importantly it helps to get things flatter as the hitch rises & falls over uneven ground. You don't get mounds as easily since you're cutting diagonally.

The length of the top link makes a big difference too, as it determines the angle of the tines & whether they cut in on not. With a short link the tines drag more than they cut. And with a longer setting they will dig in.

Then there's even more variables if you have gauge wheels......

/ Using a yard rake.
Thanks fellas! I'm about out of top link adjustment (increasing length). I have Pat's Easy Change on the tractor and it looks like the extra length is keeping me from getting a good length for the tines to dig in. I never had this happen before with my other attachments. I will get to use it again tomorrow and make some of these adjustments. I borrowed this from a neighbor and it's a King Kutter XB, which is on the small side for my tractor, but it seems to be working fine.