Using air tank to blow out radiator

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #11  
It is a function of how big the radiator is, how much crap is in it and how badly the debris is imbedded.

...and the blow guns capacity/volume. There's a wide range available, and in this case the lower volume gun would be my choice.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #12  
If you already own the tank, why not just try it. You would then be able to find out for yourself if it will do want you want.

Last edited:
   / Using air tank to blow out radiator #13  
Doesn't it have a removable screen in front of the radiator? I use the pull the screen hit with the hose or compressed air. Don't own a leaf blower.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #14  
I don't have a tank, so I've never tried using one before. I do have an air compressor that I use all the time to clean out my radiator. For those that keep asking about a screen before the radiator, it's the dust that builds up in the fins of the radiator that needs to be cleaned out. Over a short amount of time, it builds up and clogs up the fins.

I found that the flexible hose for a grease gun has the correct threads for my thing that blows air. Sorry, I forget what that thing is called. This gives me over a foot of flexible hose that I can fit and bend around the fan blades to get to more of the radiator. I like to blow the dust out towards the grill and away from the engine. It's shocking how much dirt builds up in those fins in such a short amount of time.

I've also used a hose with water, but I found that the air hose works a lot better.

If I only had a tank of compressed air, I would use it and get as much dirt out of the fins as I could, then do it again every time that I could fill up the tank.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #15  
I have a DeWalt 20V cordless blower that I can use in the field. I put it behind the seat when I head our to mow the fields. It does a passable job of cleaning the radiator area.

I also use it to blow the grass off the cutter when done mowing. Lots easier than a broom!

/var/folders/v9/f6tpr67503382j6mlf1s7rg00000gp/T/com.apple.Preview/com.apple.Preview.PasteboardItems/09120080.JPG

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator
I have a DeWalt 20V cordless blower that I can use in the field. I put it behind the seat when I head our to mow the fields. It does a passable job of cleaning the radiator area.

I also use it to blow the grass off the cutter when done mowing. Lots easier than a broom!

/var/folders/v9/f6tpr67503382j6mlf1s7rg00000gp/T/com.apple.Preview/com.apple.Preview.PasteboardItems/09120080.JPG

We are in the middle of a serious dry spell and the peak of ragweed season. I am having to stop every 5-10 minuses to clean the radiator and hourly to clean air filter. I am using a leaf blower and a prescreen on the radiator. I am going to have to up my game or park the tractor. It lives too close to the overheating point for me to be comfortable.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #17  
I had my JD 770 boil over when almost new from Dandylion seeds in the radiator screen. Not nice! I would wrap the engine compartment openings in some kind of screen, or terry cloth, making sure to keep it away from the exhaust if I had to cut in those conditions. And of course, keep an eye on the gauge.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #18  
Every tractor I know of has this problem to varying degrees. Some are easy to clean, some are very difficult to clean. Your question is nearly impossible to answer correctly not knowing how easily yours cleans, the size of your air tank, the kind of chaff that you get, etc. I wish tractor manufacturers would address this situation more earnestly in the design of their equipment.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #19  
I use an 11 gallon tank. It works fine for routine blowing out the radiator. If you wait until the tractor is overheating, a portable tank isn’t going to cut it.

/ Using air tank to blow out radiator #20  
What ever your air supply portable tank or air compressor I would highly recommend an Air Comb by Innovative products. Skinny aluminum tube with about 5 pin size holes at a 90 degree angle towards end of tube. They make in different lengths, I've got the 2 ft version. Makes it easy to direct at fins and would conserve your tank supply I believe. Word of advice use both hands on it and keep the wind in your favor. Best thing by far I've used for radiators also great for cleaning air filters. B