Using generator for welder

/ Using generator for welder #11  
Arky,

Maybe I missed this, but could you use flux core wire on your Lincoln wire feeder and get a decent weld outside with a little breeze?

Kurt

/ Using generator for welder
I dont know a great deal about arc welding (built my own backhoe with stick welder), but I never had much luck welding 1/4" steel with a 110 mig welder. I once had a century 110 wdelder that I put flux core wire on and didnt have much luck welding 3/16" plate with it. It didnt get as much penetration that I was happy with.

My thinking is with the dc rod and welder, run by the 4000 watt generator that I could get away with it and get a better weld that way.

The renting of the portable welder at this time doesnt appear to be an option considering the location and accesibility to the winch. Pulling the winch out to work on it is the last option because it is a day to remove and a day to reinstall.

It should only take about 2-3 hours to repair the winch either on the dock or at the shop. Thats why I'm hoping that I can find a solution to repair it on the dock.

Thanks

arkydog

/ Using generator for welder #13  
arky,
give it a practice run at home. try a 3/32 or 7014 rod.you can use these on dc if you like,the 6010 rod is dc only. try a comparable size of scrap steel, pick a low amp setting and start your arc. you can use a 6011 ac rod for deeper penetration but it's a little less stable and can't use the drag method. the reason i was leaning more towrd the 7014 rod is it's heavy iron coating,very smoth to weld with..rick

/ Using generator for welder #14  
How fast can you learn to weld with gas?
I really suggest that you try this genset out at home before to waste your time and find that all you can do is tackweld before the breaker pops.A 16 amp power supply ain't didly in the welding world.
You can gets tons more suggestions here
Machine Builders Network
Pose your question in the Welding area.

/ Using generator for welder #15  
You can also use a WW2 air craft generator HAS a welder. These
generators can develop 300 amps without any problems and can be used directly. Back in the 60's these were common and usually powered by a 4 cylinder air cooled Wisconsin or small auto engine.

You may still find these generators at surplus military outlets.

/ Using generator for welder
With the military surplus generator, is there any way to control the output for various welding voltages?

Thanks

arkydog

/ Using generator for welder #17  
You can get way more amps out of the arc welder running on AC. I have run nice big beads with 1/8" 7018 and 200 amps on grouser pads with my coleman 6250 watt generator and lincoln 225 AC welder. This is a great cheap portable welder package.

The fuses on generators are a slow trip deal so the high striking power won't blow the breaker. It will be the long steady arc at high amps that does you in.

25 volts while welding AC means your 100 amp setting is burning up 2500 watts plus a little for inefficiency. 100 amps will allow a decent weld with 3/32 rod on 1/4" plate using more than one pass. If the winch needs to be temporarily fixed to get you out of a jamb, then use what you've got.