Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #1  

SeattlePioneer

Tractor
None
As a furnace repairman for many years, I commonly got access to hanging furnaces in warehouses and such by sittin on a pallet lifted by a forklift.

Some businesses had constructed more elaborate variations on this theme, which constructed a sturdier platform together with railings and such ---still lifted by a forklift.

Are there attachments for tractor front shovels that would perform a similar function?

Using a tractor with such an attachment for cleaning gutters, painting houses ---even picking fruit, would seem to be useful.

I'm supposing such things are out there. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #2  
Forklifts have rear engines to counterbalance front loads and equal size wheels all around.

Tractors have front engines and front wheels smaller than rear wheels. Tractors are inclined to topple forward with front loads.

Dead meat prey for lawyers if there is an accident.

There are no front man lifts available for tractors commercially.

I had one FEL hydraulic hose blow out on my new L3560 at nine months.

Last edited:
   / Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #3  
As a furnace repairman for many years, I commonly got access to hanging furnaces in warehouses and such by sittin on a pallet lifted by a forklift.

Some businesses had constructed more elaborate variations on this theme, which constructed a sturdier platform together with railings and such ---still lifted by a forklift.

Are there attachments for tractor front shovels that would perform a similar function?

Using a tractor with such an attachment for cleaning gutters, painting houses ---even picking fruit, would seem to be useful.

I'm supposing such things are out there. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Lots of threads on the subject...use the integrated Google search...
One caveat though...they are loaded with safety police rhetoric...along with some prudent advice...

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #4  
How heavy and how high do you need to go ? I own a JLG T350 that comes with an optional jib crane. Can safely pick up 500# and go up to 35' or more. Its a towable trailer. You can rent them around here from Home Depot. There are other trailer brands that do the same thing. I use mine for all kinds of high level work: painting, gutters, tree trimming, X-mas lights, windmill service and installation, window cleaning, lightpole and flagpole repairs, martin house cleanup and just for fun sitting in the bucket 'way up there'. Mine is battery powered, nice and quiet.

I would believe that this type of lift would be perfect for installing a ceiling furnace as long as it's within the weight capacity range of the unit. I just helped a neighbor install a new large 2nd floor window using it. He was going to use 2 ladders and a plank but that would never have worked. (How would you get it up there ? ) I just carried it up to the sill and we shoved it in and secured it.

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #5  
Most of them are home made baskets , Ive stood on a pallet on the FEL many times and done lots of things , and I don't care what others say or think. I am responsible for the decisions I make.

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #6  
Here you go. You just need to have forks for your tractor. If you have a skid steer quick attach it's a piece of cake.
Forklift Safety Cage Work Platform Collapsible Lift Basket Aerial Rails 36"x36"
wp36-1_1_1.jpg

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #7  
Most of them are home made baskets , Ive stood on a pallet on the FEL many times and done lots of things , and I don't care what others say or think. I am responsible for the decisions I make.

Ever see how fast a front end loader can drop with a busted hose?

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #8  
Ever see how fast a front end loader can drop with a busted hose?

yep , still my decision to do what I want to do. I am fully capable of knowing the pitfalls and hazards of equipment. I am a staunch believer in people being responsible for their own actions as a society and in business we are over regulated on all fronts and the "safety protocols " hinder more than they help most of the time. Yall want to talk about me cutting wood bare footed and in shorts next??

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #9  
If a person was using a FEL for a lot of aerial work, it would behoove them to put orifices in the retract side of the lift cylinders. If you have a contingency plan for a busted hose, it significantly lowers the odds of an actual busted hose.

/ Using Tractor Shovel as a manlift #10  
Front shovel??
orig.gif

Assuming that's a front end loader, it happens all the time in farming communities,

standard.jpg

I can't imagine tipping my loader tractor over "forward" because of too much weight on the forks! lol

SR