Utility vehicle for the mountains

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #11  
I have a Kubota RTV 1140. It handles extreme slopes easily. Downhill just put in 4 wheel drive low and take foot off of accelerator...barely creeps down. I'm talking a slope that makes you hang on to stay in seat and would overturn if sideways. The HST transmission is awesome for speed control and putting power to the ground. I keep the 2 seats...so handy for extra people and stuff.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #12  
Sounds like you need an ATV more than an UTV. For the price of one UTV you can buy two very nice ATV's. One for each of you. The wife and I are 60 years old and still ride our ATV's daily.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains
The UTV will serve double duty - carting stuff around our property and taking to the mountains, so ATVs really are not useful for our land use. Actually I just like the UTVs better anyway. I have no desire for speed and prefer a bench seat and steering wheel rather than a saddle and handle bars.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #14  
Quite a bit of the terrain involves top speeds of maybe 2 mph and coming down can be really hairy if the engine is not holding the whole thing back to 1 or 2 mph.

I have an rtv 1140 and can confirm what Texasjohn reported about the excellent engine braking. This makes me a little more comfortable allowing less experienced people drive it. Mine can't climb as well as my Rhino so if your slopes are really hairy that's something to think about. Mine came with the worksite tires, It might climb as well as my rhino with more aggressive tires.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #15  
When you take your foot off the gas, do they stop or do they continue to move. I guess I should have said transmission braking as in it wont move or moves very very slow if you aren't on the throttle regardless of the degree of slope. I don't think any of those you listed does that.

They slow down very quickly, you tap the throttle and the clutch engages slowing you down.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #16  
I have a ranger 6x6 it has the engine braking you just got to keep it a little above idel, it has all the power you need. i take it to the mountain and load up with down wood and it works great. the only compliant i have ever had is it takes 28ft of space to turn around. oh yea it's made in the usa.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #17  
Having to blip the throttle to keep the centrifugal clutch engaged is not true engine braking and failure to keep it engaged with a load will either get you hot brakes or a ride you will not forget. Depending on the year and product different Polaris ATVs have had the the oneway bearing for engine braking in the clutch, my CANAM Outlander has an excellent engine braking system for an ATV but the oneway needs to be serviced every 100 hours and the one they had on the Polaris RZR was similar in the upkeep or they would freeze up and not work properly and were only used on the RZR for a year or so not sure about the Ranger.

The Kubota RTV has very good hill climb and dynamic braking for steep terain going downhill and a runaway downhill while in gear with the hydro is a crawl. And by the way my RTV1100 was made in the USA also.

David Kb7uns

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #18  
The UTV will serve double duty - carting stuff around our property and taking to the mountains, so ATVs really are not useful for our land use. Actually I just like the UTVs better anyway. I have no desire for speed and prefer a bench seat and steering wheel rather than a saddle and handle bars.
I'll second the suggestion for the RTV. I have a RTV900xt and i use it here on the property all the time.The RTV with the Diesel engine will not require any rejetting in the mountains like the carbed ATVs. I also like running around the mountains of Colorado. In the years past we have used ATVs. But this year I will be taking the RTV. We go to Taylor Park, miles and miles of old gold mine roads. Hey Alan, where are you located in Grayson County? I have a lake house in Sherwood Shores. Perry

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #19  
I recently went from a Mule 610 4x4 to a Polaris Ranger 500 EFI. The Ranger can freewheel but only seems to disengage when going very slow. If I'm crawling down a steep hill I just make sure it's in 4wd so all the wheels are braked evenly. One reason I bought this is because it's fuel injected and I may be taking it to higher elevations in Arizona/ Utah/ Colorado this Fall. The brakes work very well, *much* better than the Mule, not to mention the suspension, power and speed. It also has a 7.5 gallon gas tank which is nice. It's only 6" wider than the little Mule but much more capable.

/ Utility vehicle for the mountains #20  
I have a 700 ranger crew with a ranger ware cab. I regularly haul red oak firewood stacked in 2 rows to the top of the cab with a s-10 trailer loaded with wood behind it. Braking is non issue, Rangers have 4 wheel disc. You also get engine braking with the ranger. A Razer and Ranger are 2 entirely different machines. We do not have the mountains in my part of the state, but I haul wood out of some pretty steep areas on different properties here in the foothills of the Ozarks. I have never had trouble stopping. Ranger Crew are a little more beefier than regular rangers, and there long wheel base would be good in the moutains. I think, I would have to put a tape on it,from wheel to wheel is just under 12 feet. LUTT