UTV Comparison

/ UTV Comparison #41  
I have a John Deere 865r, which is the diesel version of the new cabbed HVAC equipped unit. I really like the little Yanmar, but at 32mph it doesn’t have the speed of the 835 gas models. I usually only go about 20, so it’s ok for running around the ranch. I just like diesels. I would recommend it to anybody. Just have to stomach the price. Fully optioned out, you are nearing 31K.
But you only live once.

I'm sure it's really nice. Keep us posted on how you like it.

Can you tell me how long it takes to warm up to operating temp? Our gas model takes a few minutes on a 65 deg day.

Also, if you are taking off from a dead stop, how many rpm's does it take to get rolling? Our gas likes to rev up to 3000 or so to take off. It then stays in the 3-4000 range until you get going pretty fast and then it will climb close to redline at top speed. Only done that once so far on a smooth parking area.

Just interested in comparing the diesel.

/ UTV Comparison #42  
I'm sure it's really nice. Keep us posted on how you like it.

Can you tell me how long it takes to warm up to operating temp? Our gas model takes a few minutes on a 65 deg day.

Also, if you are taking off from a dead stop, how many rpm's does it take to get rolling? Our gas likes to rev up to 3000 or so to take off. It then stays in the 3-4000 range until you get going pretty fast and then it will climb close to redline at top speed. Only done that once so far on a smooth parking area.

Just interested in comparing the diesel.
It starts and runs good right away, just like a little diesel tractor.
The machine starts moving at about 1650 rpm. The gas ones have a whole different feel to them...they really like to rev.
I’ve had it since May and have about 120 hours on it. Ac works great! Even at idle.

/ UTV Comparison #43  
Just came across this interesting and informative post. I very recently traded my 2014 Kubota RTV X1100C camo machine (cab with HVAC) for exact same 2018 Kubota side-by-side. Nothing wrong with my older 2014 model with 600+ hrs on it but got a really good deal that was hard to turn down while it was in for scheduled service.

Wish I had known about the new John Deere side-by-side with cab and HVAC. I would have checked it out prior to trading for another Kubota. That said, however, the Kubota RTV X1100C has been a great machine. My biggest complaint is the max speed since some of my property borders a secondary asphalt road where I'd like to go faster than 26 mph. The RTV has been ultra reliable with no failures in 4 years and over 600 hrs.

Guess I'll have to wait a while (few years) to check out and test drive the new John Deere with cab and HVAC.

/ UTV Comparison #44  
The loss of high range is why I can't recommend a Hydrostatic transmission. They are also more costly and have many, many more parts to fail.

Just came across this interesting and informative post. I very recently traded my 2014 Kubota RTV X1100C camo machine (cab with HVAC) for exact same 2018 Kubota side-by-side. Nothing wrong with my older 2014 model with 600+ hrs on it but got a really good deal that was hard to turn down while it was in for scheduled service.

Wish I had known about the new John Deere side-by-side with cab and HVAC. I would have checked it out prior to trading for another Kubota. That said, however, the Kubota RTV X1100C has been a great machine. My biggest complaint is the max speed since some of my property borders a secondary asphalt road where I'd like to go faster than 26 mph. The RTV has been ultra reliable with no failures in 4 years and over 600 hrs.

Guess I'll have to wait a while (few years) to check out and test drive the new John Deere with cab and HVAC.

/ UTV Comparison #45  
The loss of high range is why I can't recommend a Hydrostatic transmission. They are also more costly and have many, many more parts to fail.

Over the years, I've owned several of the other SxS's with CVT transmissions as well as Honda Pioneer 700 with true automatic transmission and Kubota with hydrostatic transmission. Never had any issues with the automatics or hydrostatics -- can't say the same about CVT's.

Should add that I've owned several hydrostatic CUT tractors (Deere, Kubota and Massey) and have never had any problems with the transmisssions.

/ UTV Comparison #46  

I still wish you would go drive one, just to come back and give us a bit of a comparison. I would value someone's opinion who has spent as much time as you have in an HVAC machine.

I'm sure both have their pros and cons. The Deere's new transmission has engine braking, but not 100% sure if the belt's pulleys stop like the Yamaha's. The Yamaha's IIRC, have an extra centripetal clutch that engages off of idle.

I'm still in awe of the Deere 835M's suspension. I can't believe how good it rides across an average field. But I've only ridden in Rhinos, the RTV500, and the HPX gator to compare it too.

/ UTV Comparison #47  

How many hydrostatic transmissions have you seen fail? I hear this all the time, and I'm sure there have been hydrostatic transmission failures, but you sure don't read about many of them on here. In fact, I can't remember ever reading about one on this forum.

If it was a systemic problem with hydrostatic transmissions, surely we would hear about them here on the #1 tractor forum on the net.

/ UTV Comparison #48  
That’s a not existent problem people that don’t like them like to spout. That’s somewhere in the line of problems on par with drilling a hole in the ROPS. I’m sure it’s happened but I’ve never seen a HST transmission fail that wasn’t worn out as in thousands of hours

/ UTV Comparison #49  
How many hydrostatic transmissions have you seen fail? I hear this all the time, and I'm sure there have been hydrostatic transmission failures, but you sure don't read about many of them on here. In fact, I can't remember ever reading about one on this forum.

If it was a systemic problem with hydrostatic transmissions, surely we would hear about them here on the #1 tractor forum on the net.

This isn't another hydrostatic transmission argument per se. It is whether they are good for side x sides or not. I believe they are awesome for small to medium sized tractors, but not so much for an ATV or side by side. So it would be nice to keep the topic as used on these types of machines.

Most of us all know they are very dependable.

/ UTV Comparison #50  

The only hydrostatic transmissions I've heard of having common problems are those on "lawn tractors" (basically glorified riding mowers). That problem stems from trying to use an undersized transmission for towing.