UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING

/ UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Fellas, I'm getting old or maybe lazy but I hate hiking 1/2 mile or more with gear, pack etc when I hunt. I'd like to load all this stuff in the Kubota UTV and drive within a couple hundred yards of my stand.
How badly would this impact deer suspicions? Any input here? The machine is camouflage color but that only goes so far......

Attachments

• Eric and Rob heading to creek bucket 6-23.JPG
    Eric and Rob heading to creek bucket 6-23.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 56
   / UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING #3  
I do it all the time with a bright red one and still see plenty. Try to park away from the direction you expect deer to come from and downwind if possible. I have seen deer be spooked by a parked side x side when they came right up on it and didn't know it was there. So don't park on their walking trail. But otherwise they typically don't know or care.

/ UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING #4  
When I was growing row crops a tractor running did not bother them. Never seen one when were working hay that I can remember but there was more equipment in the field working, moving faster and much more noise.

/ UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING
Fellas, I'm getting old or maybe lazy but I hate hiking 1/2 mile or more with gear, pack etc when I hunt. I'd like to load all this stuff in the Kubota UTV and drive within a couple hundred yards of my stand.
How badly would this impact deer suspicions? Any input here? The machine is camouflage color but that only goes so far......
Follow up....
I did take my camo-ed RTV on the logging road about 80 yards above my stand. I parked it at the end of the log road which put it about 80 yds above and 15 left of my descending path.
After about 2 hours I hear a muffled snort (not an alarmed snort) followed by another and then a quieter "leaving the area "wheezing snort".
I was DOWNWIND so it could not have smelt me....I can only assume that he spotted the buggy. BTW, a heavy 8 pt was killed 2 days later on a stand in the woods about 120 yds above me.
Grrr....

/ UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING #7  
Where I live, Western Illinois, the deer are pretty used to people and the smells. I often get within about 50 yards before they run off. That said it’s almost always doe‘s I see.

/ UTV Noise/smells when HUNTING #8  
We moved down from Alaska in '82. With that - most of my time was spent on projects here on my property. My 80 acres is, more or less, a wildlife preserve. I enjoy watching - more than hunting.

When we were in Alaska - hunted moose and caribou. Late season and VERY cold. I would drive my 4WD vehicle ( Bronco - then Jeep ) right out into the bush and park it. Sit in the vehicle until a moose would come wandering by. Lower the window - shoot the bugger right from the vehicle. I hunted a most favorable spot. Where a homesteader had cleared his required amount of land on his homestead. This land clearing caused fresh regrowth of the brush. This new brush was like candy for the moose.

Twenty two years in Alaska - 18 moose and LOTS of caribou. My hunting was for meat - not even a little for sport.

Those who have hunted and bagged a moose know the work involved in this project. It's not easy - it's not fun - it's a whole lot of work in less than ideal conditions.

However - the rewards can be quite tasty.