UTV speed

/ UTV speed
Thank you all for your input. A couple days ago I tried driving my truck where I'd be doing most of my higher speed driving...and you all are right....20-30 MPH seems plenty fast to me! I'm still concerned about how hard it would be on some of the models' engines if i drove them maxed out when going to a neighbors on gravel and blacktop. Husqvarna, Mule, Big Red, RTV 500, and JD xuv625i all have a top speed listed anywhere from 25-30. So far.... I like them all! But I'm leaning toward the Ranger 500, partly because it can go 40+. But I plan on test driving as many as I can and keep doing my research until I finally decide. Thanx again for all your input....aj

/ UTV speed #12  
I have the Ranger mid size 500 efi and it is a beast. I bought it in May and have over 600 miles on it. I had it up to 54 MPH and the suspension is superb. I haul firewood drag trees haul deer etc with it. I had numerous ATV's before the UTV and since I had the Ranger I wonder how I ever got along without a dump box and big front seat. The EFI is great for cold starting and high altitude riding. I am sure there are other great UTV's out there but I love my Mi9d Size Ranger. Go to youtube and type in polaris 500 efi. Just my opinion.

/ UTV speed #13  
I run mine down the county road alot around here(blacktop) to get from one side of farm to other and run 55mph fine. 08-16-09_1553.jpg...

/ UTV speed #14  
Thank you all for your input. A couple days ago I tried driving my truck where I'd be doing most of my higher speed driving...and you all are right....20-30 MPH seems plenty fast to me!....

As someone coming from a Mule, 20-25 was usually fast enough. But for those times when more speed was called for it was quite frustrating. The new Polaris 500 I have now is a huge improvement in power, speed, and ride quality.

/ UTV speed #15  
The efi is the cats meow..............

/ UTV speed #16  
I dunno - people tends to fall in one of 2 catergories : speed demons or need to get the work done. I hardly call running over to your neighbor a speed situation unless you are going over 1 mile on paved road. By the time you do it a few times on paved roads - you might either enjoy the ride or its too slow. If that the case jumping in the car will take care of it.
I dont think the biggest problem is how fast can you get to your neighbors. Its getting caught on the road with no plates or difficulty in getting it registered for off property use.

/ UTV speed #17  
I dunno - people tends to fall in one of 2 catergories : speed demons or need to get the work done. I hardly call running over to your neighbor a speed situation unless you are going over 1 mile on paved road. By the time you do it a few times on paved roads - you might either enjoy the ride or its too slow. If that the case jumping in the car will take care of it.
I dont think the biggest problem is how fast can you get to your neighbors. Its getting caught on the road with no plates or difficulty in getting it registered for off property use.

I agree,when I bought my ranger,it was for work,hunting,and now,my two girls riding entertainment. When I am working around the place, speed is not a issue, you can only go so fast with a load of wood on the bed and pulling a trailer with wood on it. Now when I am hunting, I have a 2 mile or so ride to the woods from my buddys farm shop. 55 comes in handy. LUTT

/ UTV speed #18  
SNIP

In my state of Minnesota, these ATVs are called "Class 2 ATV" and are allowed on Township and County roadways if the machine is registered with the DNR for public use, a ~$20 per year sticker thing. Adding another registration for Private use, Agricultural, gives the Class 2 ATV almost unlimited use on all types (except interstate) public roadways if operated for Ag purposes. I read that last part as "Take a gopher trap with you".

/ UTV speed #19  
.... Its getting caught on the road with no plates or difficulty in getting it registered for off property use.

I didn't realize there was even this to deal with.

/ UTV speed #20  
As someone coming from a Mule, 20-25 was usually fast enough. But for those times when more speed was called for it was quite frustrating. The new Polaris 500 I have now is a huge improvement in power, speed, and ride quality.

I have a Mule 2510. No speedo so I can only guess top speed is in the low 20s. It's suspension will not allow faster than that, even if the engine/gearing was capable. The carb seems way too small for the engine. Mine's never on the road and probably rarely is driven over 15mph.