Snow V Snow Plow

/ V Snow Plow #21  
If you could find an old vertical air tank, propane tank, or something similar, you could make one with a nice curved blade by splitting it from end to end, then trimming and welding it back together in a V... You could bolt on a straight cutting edge on the bottom, so precision of the cut wouldn't be crucial, only the weld where you joined the two pieces together.

The curved blade is VERY useful since in helps prevent the snow from piling up and coming over a flat blade (made of wood or anything else). The curved blade "rolls" the snow in front of the blade rather than simply pushing it up into a pile that then topples and falls back over the blade...

/ V Snow Plow #22  
Fortunately, this time 'round it was only 5-6", and I finished off the driveway in about an hour. I forgot how much fun using the blade can be.
So much fun that you will decide to keep your PT425?

/ V Snow Plow
If you could find an old vertical air tank, propane tank, or something similar, you could make one with a nice curved blade by splitting it from end to end, then trimming and welding it back together in a V... You could bolt on a straight cutting edge on the bottom, so precision of the cut wouldn't be crucial, only the weld where you joined the two pieces together.

The curved blade is VERY useful since in helps prevent the snow from piling up and coming over a flat blade (made of wood or anything else). The curved blade "rolls" the snow in front of the blade rather than simply pushing it up into a pile that then topples and falls back over the blade...
Hmmmm. I happen to have an old tank that is about 18" in diameter and 6' long.... Hmmmm...:)

/ V Snow Plow #24  
if you are only using the v plow to cut an initial path through the snow, then chances are you won't find any ice chunks.

/ V Snow Plow #25  
smilindave
Then what is used after the initial path through the snow?

What is the plan if needing to back up while making that initial path?

Things to consider in the plan. L)

/ V Snow Plow #26  
when you use just the v on the plow it does not cover as much of an area as the regular plow. After the clearing your path, go to the regular plow.

/ V Snow Plow
if you are only using the v plow to cut an initial path through the snow, then chances are you won't find any ice chunks.

Out at the end of the drive after the county plow goes through there are usually some nice chunks. There are also cracks in my paved drive here and there, and a concrete sidewalk T-s into the drive and is a tad uneven. ;)

smilindave
Then what is used after the initial path through the snow?

What is the plan if needing to back up while making that initial path?

Things to consider in the plan. L)

Switch back to the normal plow quickly. If I have to back up, all I have to do is lift the plow and back up. If the snow is deeper than the height I can lift the plow I will have more things to worry about... like my roof collapsing.

when you use just the v on the plow it does not cover as much of an area as the regular plow. After the clearing your path, go to the regular plow.

That depends on how wide I build my V plow, doesn't it? Also, if I build one, it will be a fixed V, not one that can go from V to straight to U.

/ V Snow Plow #28  
I put a wing on my box blade. My driveway crosses a pond dam and if I push snow over the edge there isn't a snow bank and it stays clean during windy days. It also takes only two passes to clean the driveway wide enough. The angle is adjustable and the lower edge is about an inch higher than the cutting edge of the box blade. I used door hinges to attach it so it is easily removable.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,098
   / V Snow Plow #30  
I remember wedge plows from my childhood. They were horse drawn and had small cab with a seat for the driver. They were made of wood with sides about two feet high and the angle was quite sharp.