V10, no power.

/ V10, no power. #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Got something strange going on with my 04' Ford box truck with the V10 engine. It starts okay and runs fine. It takes off just fine but then has no power.

I noticed awhile back when I went to pass someone that it seemed a bit "doggish" but I just shrugged it off. Then today I picked up a 2000lb pallet of horse bedding and it was running like it was not getting enough fuel.

Leaving the town where we where, it was barely making 30mph. My wife suggested that the fuel was low though I had 1/4 tank and that is usually sufficient. Not wanting to do 30 on a road signed for 55, I turned off on a side road. There is a gas station there so I figured what can it hurt so I stopped and put in thirty bucks worth or nine gallions.

The truck seemed to run better, reaching normal speeds but as soon as I hit some hills, no power. I did manage to make it home though where my efforts turned to the barn and cleaning and refreshing my horse stalls. When I finished up, it ended up that I was stuck in the mud in front of the barn. Being it was already eight o'clock, tomorrow is another day.

The truck has 180k plus on it but uses no oil, and runs quiet and smooth (usually). The only thing I notice is that when I start it, there is alot of "tinny" rattling, like the exhaust or heat shields are loose but I don't see anything wrong.

If the fuel pump was bad, I would expect it to work or not.

/ V10, no power. #2  
Does this truck have a in-tank fuel pump with an integrated filter? Sounds to me like your filter might be getting clogged.

/ V10, no power. #3  
I had an issue that was similar in a class C motorhome with a V10...It lacked power and was surging under load. Turned out to be a bad coil pack.

/ V10, no power. #4  
Some vehicles with the pump//filter in the tank also have an inline filter tucked under the frame somewhere. Sounds like fuel starvation, look for an external filter first. If you do have to drop the fuel tank out, replace the pump while in there even if you could just a filter. Foe what little the pump cost compared labor of getting the tank out it isn't worth not changing it.

/ V10, no power.
Some vehicles with the pump//filter in the tank also have an inline filter tucked under the frame somewhere. Sounds like fuel starvation, look for an external filter first. If you do have to drop the fuel tank out, replace the pump while in there even if you could just a filter. Foe what little the pump cost compared labor of getting the tank out it isn't worth not changing it.
Yeah, been there done that with an F150. This one being a box means I would have to drop the tank.

There is some kind of elaborate filter setup along the left side of the frame behind the cab. Been awhile since I was underneath doing any maintenance.

Like I said, I got it stuck in the mud right now. Come morning, I will get it unstuck, lol, then do a little checking around. If it was a coil pack, would it still run good while taking off? It seems fine until it starts to shift up and when it goes up against hill then it's dead.

/ V10, no power. #6  
I think, am pretty sure, if it was electrical in the ignition system you would get an engine code warning.
I have had fuel pump show early sign of failure through low fuel pressure, low power just before complete failure. They don't run very long that way before they quit.

/ V10, no power. #7  
Yeah, been there done that with an F150. This one being a box means I would have to drop the tank.

There is some kind of elaborate filter setup along the left side of the frame behind the cab. Been awhile since I was underneath doing any maintenance.

Like I said, I got it stuck in the mud right now. Come morning, I will get it unstuck, lol, then do a little checking around. If it was a coil pack, would it still run good while taking off? It seems fine until it starts to shift up and when it goes up against hill then it's dead.

Mine ran ok on the level..Once I started up a hill it would start a light surging and run down on power. After a few hills, over 70 or so miles, the idiot light came on. Also had a MAF sensor cause some lean conditions too. Very common Ford issue so I'm told. They are generally cleanable if done carefully.

Could be a fuel filtering issue too...That's cheap if it has an external filter, around that vintage some manufacturers started going with the tank filter. Dunno on yours. Pretty sure my '04 GMC didn't have an external filter if memory serves.

/ V10, no power. #8  
id start with plugs and coil packs.

If you havnt spit any out yet, and you havnt changed any in 50K get ready for a job.

/ V10, no power. #9  
Like others have said in a best case scenario it would be filters. Hopefully it thrown a check engine code and you can hook up an OBD II scanner to it and see what the computer is throwing out for a code. Trying to shoot from the hip on these can get pretty pricey in parts when just guessing what the culprit is.

I've mainly worked on GM vehicles so hopefully the Ford guys can share some info that is typically problematic with the Fords. On the GMs with low power I've had the issue caused by MAS, Trottle position sensor, crankcase and camshaft sensors (weren't electronically adjusting timing I'm assuming).

Once even had a GM that when key turned to the run position could hear the fuel pump run and would start up and idle fine and once trying to accelerate would just be incredibly doggy. It never threw a code so it really gave me troubles to find. Eventually I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and noticed that I was only putting out about 30 psi. Didn't think it was an issue until I researched and found my pump was weak by GM specs by about 15 psi.

My advice would be try the easy stuff first. Change the fuel filter and if that doesn't work take it to a shop and have them hook up an OBDII or more preferably have a complete diagnostic on the truck. They will be able to check timing advance, fuel pressures, MAS adjustments etc on their computer. If it is something as simple as plugs and wires it should show up on a scan. Every time I had a plug/coil pack issue with Dodge or GM it showed up immediately on the OBDII scanner with a particular cylinder having a misfire.

/ V10, no power. #10  
I would check to see if the cataletic converter is stopped up or something in the exaust line.