V2203 timing cover o-rings

/ V2203 timing cover o-rings #1  

chasxjs

Tractor
bobcat 753
I am rebuilding the engine in a Bobcat 753 that I purchased with the engine disassembled. The engine is a V-2203 The issue I have run into is the manual calls for o-rings to be installed in the timing cover around the ports that flow oil to and from the oil filter. My gasket set did not come with any o-rings for these ports and the ports are not grooved to accept o-rings. I guess my question is, was there some kind of production change that modified this to eliminate or modify the o-ring requirements?
v2203.jpg

/ V2203 timing cover o-rings #2  
I'd check the mating surface to make sure the corresponding holes in the block have a flat surface and get an O ring that'll fit just inside the recess and fit slightly proud of it. Once you tighten it down the O ring will be compressed enough to keep it in place especially wit the oil pressure............Mike

/ V2203 timing cover o-rings
The block surfaces are flat.
I had thought of just getting generic o-rings, however was curious if there was some reason for them not grooving the cover to accept o-rings like they did with the thermostat opening. Looking at pictures on-line, it appears that some were grooved and some were not. Why the change? Was there a different type of o-ring? Perhaps a o-ring with a built in retainer of some sort?

/ V2203 timing cover o-rings #4  
Parts brake down shows O-rings. Post the unit sn# to confirm.