VA Benits and who can get them?

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I was talking to a guy who said he uses his VA card to get ten percent off of what he buys and Lowes and Home Depot. He asked if I did the same thing, and I told him I wasn't eligible for VA benefits since I was only in for five years. He said he was only in for 4 years and he gets them. I just looked online and read that the only requirement is that you have to have served 24 months and not have a dishonorable discharge. Is this right?

My goal is to get the ten percent discount. I don't need or want the medical part of it, but then I don't know what's there either. So maybe that's a bonus. I have a great medical, dental plan through the hospital my wife works at already.

I was in the Marine Corps from 83 to 88. My MOS was maintenance management and I spent my last 32 months assigned to the Marine Security Guard Detachment guarding two different US Embassies overseas. No combat, no injuries or any problems at all related to my service. Honorable discharge, and off to civilian life when I was done.

Your thoughts?

Eddie

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #2  
Eddie,

I think the discount applies year-round only to active duty personnel, and retired and disabled veterans.

I am like you -- I served for four years (65-69) and qualify for the discount only on Memorial Day, July 4, and Veterans' Day. Sometimes a cashier asks for proof of service, but most don't when I ask for the discount on those holidays. I have a VA card that was issued to me when I was going to college under the GI Bill and I use that as my proof of service. You could use a copy of your DD-214 for proof.

Steve

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #3  
Most stores I frequent offer Military Discounts, retired or active, seems few actually check service length. If you have a CAC card, Uniformed Services Card or the variants thereof, they seem to want you to flash and they will accept it. Even AARP cards work, sometimes.

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #4  
I was under the impression that they started giving the discount to any veteran a couple of years ago, you just needed to show proof of service.

Eddie, just copy your DD214 and try it the next time you go to Lowes, all they can say is no and even then you still haven't lost anything, but if they say yes, then you've just saved 10%.

Home Depot also offers the same discount for service.

BTW - Thanks for your service!

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #5  
From the horses mouth:
http://www.lowes.com/cd_in-store+services+_745829091_#Military%20Discount said:
Military Discount
Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients. This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.
The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.
1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

Aaron Z

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #6  
I served 4 years, and have been using the VA medical benefits since 2007 even though I got out in 1990. I believe the VA has a income level requirement, meaning if you make over a certain amount then you can't get benefits, if you don't have service connected disability.

For me I have a low income so the VA is my Obamacare insurance, as well as my part D when I retire. Last year they paid for an emergency room call after having what was best described as a heart attack, but according to lab and other test wasn't. Still wiped me for like 4 months afterwards, like lose of energy after walking 200 ft. Still have periods were it is like somebody pulled the plug on the bathtub even after 8 months.

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #7  
Most stores I frequent offer Military Discounts, retired or active, seems few actually check service length. If you have a CAC card, Uniformed Services Card or the variants thereof, they seem to want you to flash and they will accept it. Even AARP cards work, sometimes.
I just checked and Texas offers the Veterans designation on their issued drivers licenses.

"Texas Available DPS offers a VETERAN designation printed on the face of driver licenses for qualifying veterans. Veterans must visit a driver license office and present their DD-214, DD-215, NGB-22, or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs disability letter. Veteran Designation for Driver Licenses"

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #8  
I served during the early Vietnam error ( 1961 to 1964 ) and couldn't get any benefits . My buddy who served just after me and never went to nam , no medical issues during the his service time gets all the benefits . The dates had to be just right so they told me , what a bunch of crap that was . I had no medical issues just wanted to get my yearly physical covered . I called my congressman which was a waste of time .

/ VA Benits and who can get them? #9  
The rules as to VA eligibility are not cut in stone tablets. They are set by politics and budget considerations and vary over time.

You should check with VA today.

Intercession by your Congressman's staff can get you instant attention if you feel ignored by VA admin. Most Congressmen have a staff person who specializes in VA and veteran's affairs.

Last edited: