VALUE LEADER FLAIL BEARING REPLACEMENT?

/ VALUE LEADER FLAIL BEARING REPLACEMENT? #1  

defranks

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4220
Howdy:
I bought a new Chinese flail mower from an outfit in Oregon. It works okay, but after relatively few hours the drive-side bearing on the drum has failed. I spent a little time yesterday trying to get it out, but didn't have any luck.

This thing uses a "swellable sleeve", held together with five 6mm bolts. The bolts come out easily, but the pulley seems to be on very tight. I tried a puller, but didn't want to put too much pressure on the pulley for fear of breaking it.

Is there a trick to pulling the bearing on this unit? (Value Leader EF-165). Or do I just need to pult more pressure on the pulley?

Thanks!

/ VALUE LEADER FLAIL BEARING REPLACEMENT? #2  
Pull the bearing and go to a local bearing house and get a decent replacement. Sucks, but you get what you pay for with these.

/ VALUE LEADER FLAIL BEARING REPLACEMENT? #3  
Howdy:
I bought a new Chinese flail mower from an outfit in Oregon. It works okay, but after relatively few hours the drive-side bearing on the drum has failed. I spent a little time yesterday trying to get it out, but didn't have any luck.

This thing uses a "swellable sleeve", held together with five 6mm bolts. The bolts come out easily, but the pulley seems to be on very tight. I tried a puller, but didn't want to put too much pressure on the pulley for fear of breaking it.

Is there a trick to pulling the bearing on this unit? (Value Leader EF-165). Or do I just need to pult more pressure on the pulley?

Thanks!

===================================================================================================================================================

Good afternoon defranks,

I want to walk you through this,

First and foremost:

Apparently they are using a "Taper Lock" of some type to
secure the V belt pulley in place which seems odd in itself
as taper locks are not used for something like this to my
knowledge on very high speed unbalanced rotating shafts,
which is what this flail mower rotor is.

The pulley most likely is also secured with set screws at one
or more locations on the pulley hub and you need to look for these
set screws to loosen them upother wise nothing will occur.

You need to look for the set screws first and then go from there
and please post some pictures if possible as I am sure you may
have set screws buried under paint.

/ VALUE LEADER FLAIL BEARING REPLACEMENT? #4  
Howdy:

Thanks!

What does Value Leader say about that pulley? They're pretty helpful (I have the 68" VL mower). Also, which bearing is it? The one on the end of the drive shaft that's lubed with gear oil? Or the one down below on the flail shaft with the grease zerk? I noticed that the threads are stripped on the grease zerk on the lower bearing on my mower. I need to fix this before using the mower again. You really have to keep these things well greased or the bearings will go to pot quickly.

Good luck and post pictures of the damaged parts.

/ VALUE LEADER FLAIL BEARING REPLACEMENT?
I've e-mailed the outfit in Oregon and asked for their take, but have no reply from them. I'll give them a call tomorrow if I've still heard nothing.

I don't think there are set screws on the pulley. There's no protruding hub, just the channels for the three drive belts. I guess there could be a set screw in one of the channels, and I'll check.

This is the lower, driven, pulley, the one with the zerk fitting.

The front of the pulley has the five allen-head, 6mm bolts, but it turns out those bolts are part of the "Swellable Sleeve." It looks to me like my wheel puller is pushing on the outside of the sleeve, accomplishing about the same as the bolts would do, driving the two halves of the sleeve together.

I'm pretty good at mechanical stuff, and usually a pulley removal chore wouldn't stump me.

I'll try to take a couple of pictures later in the day.

Thanks guys.