Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters?

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters? #1  

fuseboxer

Silver Member
Tractor
two john deere Sabres (2554-Scotts) and 4410 john deere ,Allis Chalmers WD , 5' Cub Cadet Zero turn
The operators manual indicates on many if not all newer and older JD compacts, Yanmar engine at least, that the valve lash should be checked and adjusted at every 500 miles. The proceedure is very time consuming, difficult, and I bet costly if done by the book at a JD dealer. I bet mine with 2000 hrs has not been done. I bet very few of you have paid the dealer or did it. It would be eaisy for a mechanic to screw it up, bigtime problem.

How much time money and effort should be put forth on valve lash you tell me.:confused2: See bottom adj valves.

I hope some of you have larger deere engine's made in USA with hydraulic valve lifters. Our auto and trucks have not had lash lifters in 40+ years.

Every 500 Hours

キ Check battery electrolyte.

キ Check wheel bolt torque.

キ Lubricate machine grease fittings.

キ Check air restriction indicator. Replace only primary filter unless secondary filter is visibly damaged or indicator shows an air restriction after the primary filter has been changed.

キ Check engine speeds.

キ Check transmission oil level.

キ Check air filter intake hoses and clamps.

キ Replace fuel filter.

キ MFWD Models: Change front axle oil.

キ Inspect fuel injectors. (See your John Deere dealer.)

Adjust engine valve clearance. (See your John Deere dealer.)

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters? #2  
I've had the valve clearances adjusted twice on my JD 4255 in 10,000 hrs. As valve heads beat into the seat the clearance gets less. As the old TV filter commercial stated" you can ay me now or pay me LATER".

IIRC the JD valve lifters I'm acquainted with were "solid" lifters not "hydraulic".

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters? #3  
By the tech manual, the procedure doesn't look overly difficult, just maybe time consuming.
Remove the valve cover and then position the flywheel at the TDC mark and adjusting for the right clearance.
Put it back together. My main question at the moment would be how to rotate the engine by hand. May not be a problem.

I've not done mine on the 4300 and am at the 500 hours. Should look into it and thanks for the reminder.

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters?
You wrote:
I've had the valve clearances adjusted twice on my JD 4255 in 10,000 hrs. As valve heads beat into the seat the clearance gets less.

I have adjusted lash many times and alway noticed the gap getting larger. With the valves/seat steel hardened more because of the removal of lead in gasoline the valve should beat less into the seat? It has been my experience the the clearance gets more. What do the experts say?

Last time about 15yrs ago I lashed the valves on the Allis Chalmers WD and the gap was over 2x gage. I add some lead for valve/seat lube but not every time. Some of the tractors I have owned have had hydraulic lifters.

My main question at the moment would be how to rotate the engine by hand.

Center of the lower crank pulley probably has a large bolt to turn over the engine is my guess I have not looked. Problem is how to release pressure. On a gasoline engine you remove the sparkplugs. Remove injectors?
I do not believe I will be quick to move foward to do this. I know from experience in the early 1960's on a chevy 1953 or 4 I help screw this up. I lashed motorcycle valves and some other cars years many times with success but still believe it can be screwed up quite by accident.

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters? #6  
I did check the valve lash at 500 hours on my 2210. Finding TDC is time consuming and turning the crank is not easy. Dont remember if I had a ratchet on the crank pulley or if I just manhandled the fan... the lash wasn't off by very much anyways and it all turned out to be a waste of time. Ill check again at about 2000 hours.

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters? #8  

Yep, good thread!!

Arrabil used to post on here frequently. He lives about 15-20 miles from me.
Good guy and very knowledgable about Deere cuts...in fact, he was the guy who helped me reverse my rear wheels (me...with two herniated disks!!).
He stopped posting about a year and change ago...I did contact him via another e-mail. Apparently there were some kind of issues he had to deal with.
His absence is a loss to TBN and the Deere forums in particular.

/ Valve lash on newer compacts and old. Do you have Hydraulic lifters? #9  
You wrote:
I've had the valve clearances adjusted twice on my JD 4255 in 10,000 hrs. As valve heads beat into the seat the clearance gets less.

I have adjusted lash many times and alway noticed the gap getting larger. With the valves/seat steel hardened more because of the removal of lead in gasoline the valve should beat less into the seat? It has been my experience the the clearance gets more. What do the experts say?

Last time about 15yrs ago I lashed the valves on the Allis Chalmers WD and the gap was over 2x gage. I add some lead for valve/seat lube but not every time. Some of the tractors I have owned have had hydraulic lifters.

My experience over the years is that the tighten/loosen is an engine specific thing. In general, pushrod engines are more likely to loosen up while direct cam on valve overhead cam engines seem to always tighten up. I'm not sure how the newer tractor engines operate, but as I recall, the valve adjustment interval is pretty long on my JD 2320.

You wrote:
YOU WROTE: I'm not sure how the newer tractor engines operate

I checked the service for the new 4000 series deere USA engine and they do not have valve lash. Must be hydraulic lifters. The real deere engines and not Yanmar. I do not know how far back you go in years for a USA deere engine before you see the primitive design and need to lash a valve. Its old school design less engineering and less money. Japanese motorcycle engine design did away with lash 20 yrs ago. At least Honda did.