Valve stem guards...

/ Valve stem guards... #21  
Just a little advice about using pipe and pipe caps for valve stem guards. I've worked on all kinds of heavy logging equipment for over 10 years and have found that you need to put some sort of anti-seize, grease or some other form of long tern lube on the threads of the pipe before you put the cap on, then tighten the cap only snug. What happens is.... the pipe works so well as a guard that if and when you DO ever have a flat and there was no lube on the pipe cap threads, it can be a real pain to get the cap off because it will rust inside the pipe and the cap. I've had to take a torch and cut the guards off several times before the tire repair shop could replace the tube.

/ Valve stem guards... #22  
Rich -

Nice job! I wish I had the capability to make the same.

With such a big hunk o' metal on just one spot on the rim, do you find you have trouble with high-speed shimmy? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Mark -

I hear what you're saying about the caps rusting themselves on. Do you think teflon tape would help at all?

HarvSig.gif

/ Valve stem guards... #23  
richh,
Good idea for protecting the valve stems,and I hope you grease the cap threads.

Why did you decide to install protection plates on the side of your tractor..do to logging & bush hogging?

By the looks you have mighty beast and I pity anything that gets in your way.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Valve stem guards... #24  
Harv-
The teflon tape, or better yet... some PST (pipe sealer with teflon) may work just as well. Afterall, the teflon is slick, that's part of the reason you use it, to be able to tighten the joint tighter, thus helping to seal the tapered pipe threads better. I don't know how well the teflon would deter rust though and believe it or not, that tiny bit of air trapped in the stem guard will form condensation over and over again to rust those threads.

/ Valve stem guards... #25  
Thomas, this is what the tractor gets used for most of the time. The winch is my de-fault implment. Stick's are very hard on HST filters!
Rich

Attachments

• 37-35899-Mvc-008f.jpg
    37-35899-Mvc-008f.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 166
   / Valve stem guards... #26  
Harv, RE. high speed woble on wheels. Well there was one time I wsa skiding out a load of birds eye maple and they was big log's, must'a ben 5 or 6 stick's about 40" on the but end and the poor old tractor was just a whining when I look back here come's a old sow black bear coming up fast and she was mad, must'a woke her up. Well I drop them log's and threw the HST into high range and took off down the trail like I was on fire, when I felt this woble in the front end. I look at the tac. and had the rpm's up around 7000 and was just about to turn on the propan injection when.....................................

/ Valve stem guards... #27  
Well Rich you got me, when I saw birds eye maple, cha ching cha ching. Then I kept reading---good post. Sure do like those tires!!!
I'd love to be hauling out a few 40" butt of birds eye. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Valve stem guards... #29  
richh,
Now I understand why you armour on.
One can be astonish after seeing what a one inch stick etc.. can do for damage. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Looks like to you have the best of both,compact skidder w/FEL. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Valve stem guards... #30  
richh,
Maybe the sow had a cub or cubs and thats why see came towards you,only to protect her off spring.

Well are you going to finish the ending or....../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif