Valve stem protectors

/ Valve stem protectors #51  
It's because of that video that I wont weld on a rim with tire still mounted, plus now I have a $50.00 inner tube inside the tire, don't want to burn that, (Murphy's Law might apply here), even on loaded tire's with no tube, I think I would still be to nervous to weld after watching that video.

That left me with 2 options, take tires back out to Stratham Tire, 30 miles one way, bring rims back to weld on a piece of pipe, paint rims, take rims back out with $150.00, bring back the loaded 11.2-24 need 2 people tires. Or spend all day Sat. scratching my head, cutting up a bunch of card board, measuring, looking for what steel I had, by the end of the day after getting upset why it's taking me so long, I have a bolt on valve stem protector, ready for a 6 month trial run, but as I watch the paint, I all ready see how to make them better.

/ Valve stem protectors #52  
It's because of that video that I wont weld on a rim with tire still mounted, plus now I have a $50.00 inner tube inside the tire, don't want to burn that, (Murphy's Law might apply here), even on loaded tire's with no tube, I think I would still be to nervous to weld after watching that video.

That left me with 2 options, take tires back out to Stratham Tire, 30 miles one way, bring rims back to weld on a piece of pipe, paint rims, take rims back out with $150.00, bring back the loaded 11.2-24 need 2 people tires. Or spend all day Sat. scratching my head, cutting up a bunch of card board, measuring, looking for what steel I had, by the end of the day after getting upset why it's taking me so long, I have a bolt on valve stem protector, ready for a 6 month trial run, but as I watch the paint, I all ready see how to make them better.

Yeah, an inner tube makes welding in place a non starter.

/ Valve stem protectors #53  
Yep, I agree with Island. No welding on a tubed wheel.

Otherwise, no concerns on my part at all. As said earlier, just a couple spot welds. Pour water on it right after welding. No worries.

Looks like your option is the fix!!!!! Shouldn't have that problem again!!! :)

/ Valve stem protectors #54  
Why not use JB weld to put your stem protectors on. Clean the parts very well and cement them together using the JB weld.

/ Valve stem protectors #55  
Why not use JB weld to put your stem protectors on. Clean the parts very well and cement them together using the JB weld.
Maybe. Never thought of that.Welcome to TBN!!! :)

/ Valve stem protectors #56  
I gave JB weld a thought, also epoxy on a piece of PVC pipe, and thought about fiberglass to protect the valve stem, then I thought about a 20 degree day, on a nice sun shiny January Saturday afternoon in 2 feet of snow cutting firewood, having a happy happy happy time, then I hit one little branch, and there I am, a mile down in the woods with a flat tire, and cant go no where, that would really spoil my weekend. So I'll give these brackets I made till November to see if they hold up, they should with 2 half inch grade 8 fine thread bolts.

I had one valve stem break so far on my front tire, but that's a 16" tire, easy fix with my manual tire changing machine, if it does break again, before I put a new tube back in, I'll weld a piece of pipe on the rim.

/ Valve stem protectors #57  
Great post. I was right there with ya in your description of that Winter breakdown. That's how I always look at homemade projects. Might be overkill, but it'll never fail me. :)