Valve stem

/ Valve stem #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
Is it possible to fix this leaky valve stem seal without removing the tire from rim and tractor? Just just loaded my dang tires and now there's a leak..of course

/ Valve stem
uploadfromtaptalk1458090194190.jpg

/ Valve stem
You can see two bubbles by the seal

/ Valve stem #4  
Brass valve stems I'm familiar with use a thick hard rubber washer between the wheel parent metal and another brass washer on the stem before the nut is put on. Use something to hold the stem in place, ten put on the washers and the nut. Bingo. You might want to scrape the paint flakes off them before you seal it back up.

/ Valve stem
What a relief. Hopefully tackle this project this weekend

/ Valve stem #6  
you have a tube in that tire if its leaking at the tip replace valve core or remove and clean then reinstall it. Plastic nut goes over the larger brass piece to keep tube from sucking in. if leaking from rubber part its one of two things, tube is torn or its trapped water and air escaping which is normal

/ Valve stem
The valve core is fine. It's leaking around the rubber seal where it touches the rim. The plastic nut that went around the base is very busted up and broken. If I knew what size nut, I could put it on and tighten it up against the seal which might stop the leak. It's a very fine thread around 1/2".

/ Valve stem #8  
that's not a seal, it has a tube in it the nut does nothing but keep the valve stem from falling in the wheel when the air is let out

/ Valve stem #9  
Every time I have something like this happen with air coming out around the valve stem it is because there is a leak in the tube somewhere else and the air is working its way around between the tire or rim and the tube and coming out next to the valve stem. If that is what has happened then wiggling the valve stem a bit usually results in letting out a fair bit more air. Sometimes they will leak slowly and then you drive around a bit and then the leak stops, then drive a bit more and it is leaking again. It was quite a surprise how big the hole in the tube was and that only a little air was making its way around to the valve stem.

/ Valve stem
Sounds like I just need to remove the tire and get it repaired.