Valve Stems

/ Valve Stems #1  

Cathouse

Tractor
Kubota L3301
Why are my valve stems on the inside instead of the outside on my L3301?

/ Valve Stems #2  
Generally that means that the wheels have been swapped onto the opposing axle to gain a wider stance. In hilly country you see it a lot. The various tractor widths available by switching the tires and wheels around are often shown in the operator manual.
Sometimes the valve stems end up on the inside.

/ Valve Stems #3  
Many tractor rims can be turned in or out to adjust width.

/ Valve Stems #4  
I have drilled appropriate sized holes to move the valve stem to the outside of the rim. With tubes you need to be careful where the hole is drilled, but tubeless can be anywhere that's convenient. I just leave a valve stem on the inside hole but they can be welded closed. There are also plugs available for the valve stem hole.

/ Valve Stems #5  
If your wheels are 2 part (rim & separate spider) then the rim offset can be inward or outward. Some tires are directional, so even this condition affects the rim placement. If these are your front wheels, it's possible they have been place in that position to match the rear track width.

I mount the steered wheels on my lawn mower with the valves inward to avoid hitting them in high grass or sticks which can cause them to be sheared off.

/ Valve Stems #6  
My largest tractor is often used by customers with duals so inside stem on inside rears is only possible way to get to valve. In my case, I’m running single rears so inside location is tough, but I understand their reasoning.

/ Valve Stems #7  
Sometimes the valve stem in on the inside because of wheel weights. Some wheel weights spin a little and shear off the valve stem, so some of us mount the wheel with the valve stem on the inside.