Vaporlock/run-on gone!

/ Vaporlock/run-on gone!
Awww. Bill, c'mon. Please post it here or start a new thread! don't relegate such valuable info to a PM! I'm out of my warranty time now. After going through all I have on fuel problems I'd like to know a successful method of fine tuning the carb if/when it becomes necessary. I no longer have to fear the warning sticker. I am free.

Phil

/ Vaporlock/run-on gone! #12  
Phil, This is your thread so you win I'll post instead of PMing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually BEK already explained it but I give my method with some explanation after each step as well.
1 Warm up your engine to normal operating temperature.
Carbs are picky about many things like temp/humidity/altitude/etc. so tuning your engine in the state that closest to it's normal operation will give best results.
2 Begin closing the idle mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time until you hear the engine drop in speed then open it back up 1/4 turn.
Some people try to set it in between this point and the factory setting by counting how many turns it takes to close it from the original setting and then counting how many turns it takes to close it from this new setting and then setting it in between. I find it best to go between this 1/4 back setting and an additional 1/4 back tuning by ear.
3 Adjust the idle speed screw 1/4 to a half turn at a time until you get the best slow idle without missing.
You can also look up your engine specs and set this with a tach to match the factory specified idle speed.

I'm no expert but it works for me.

And congrats Phil on the missing VL and run-on!