Various BoxBlade Uses

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #51  
really good info here, pretty much sold me on getting a box blade.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #52  
I have not regretted it.

I got quite a few hours on it getting my driveway project done. The driveway has been extended now, new gravel spread and I'm generally quite happy with the result.

Since I have finally bought a welder and am acquiring some welding skills, I plan on welding up a stopper for the rear hinge blade to be able to set the weight on it for final grading. I was able to get a reasonable result with the box blade and rake.

The box blade really shined when I went to spread all the dirt that had come off the part of the driveway that I extended - ripped sod off - on my existing lawn. Within 45 min flat I had that whole area in front of my dog kennels redone and ready to add new seed to! I don't know if this was just cause I aquired box blading skill... more because I found dirt a bit easier to work with than loose gravel :) I can't imagine how long this would have taken by hand. Boy a tractor sure helps!

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #53  
I guess my only question is, will a 4ft box blade on my B7001 Kubota have enough dig to get our hard packed driveway smoothed out? We have water runoff, some potholes, washboard, and the driveway was once all gravel, but thats either been pushed off the side, or sunk into the earth. I read a post where someone said his 4ft box blade just bounces along hard pack, im thinking thats just because its to light and could have some weight added to it. Ahh, being a noob again, asking all these questions :rolleyes:

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
Box5 said:
I guess my only question is, will a 4ft box blade on my B7001 Kubota have enough dig to get our hard packed driveway smoothed out? We have water runoff, some potholes, washboard, and the driveway was once all gravel, but thats either been pushed off the side, or sunk into the earth. I read a post where someone said his 4ft box blade just bounces along hard pack, im thinking thats just because its to light and could have some weight added to it. Ahh, being a noob again, asking all these questions :rolleyes:
You're right.
Weight is the contributing factor in getting your boxblade to cut. Depending on what model you have, adding weight if necessary is done all the time. Use your scarifiers to bust up the hardpan first, then work it with the blade. You don't need the scarifiers to stick out much either, just enough to get into the ground and bust it up.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #55  
I don't have many action shots, and I do not even have a boxblade for my new kioti yet. I got broke out in dirt work on TLBs, so using the loader until I get my boxblade does not bother me, but it would be nice to have.

Boxblades are good things to have around, that is for sure.
2071736358_67b42ae705_o.jpg

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #56  
G'day from Ken in Australia.
We live on 15 acres in the Tropics, so right now, my 900ft dirt drive way is fairly cut up (floods and cyclone season).
I've been away with the military for 2 years, so need to put some serious time in on the property. I was looking for info on drive way maintenance when I came across this site and thread.
Thanks for all the great info, as I was wondering weather to purchase a box blade or standard scraper blade.
Box looks to suit my needs better.
Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to many enlightning conversations with the group.
Best wishes from Oz.

Ken.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
G'day from Ken in Australia.
We live on 15 acres in the Tropics, so right now, my 900ft dirt drive way is fairly cut up (floods and cyclone season).
I've been away with the military for 2 years, so need to put some serious time in on the property. I was looking for info on drive way maintenance when I came across this site and thread.
Thanks for all the great info, as I was wondering weather to purchase a box blade or standard scraper blade.
Box looks to suit my needs better.
Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to many enlightning conversations with the group.
Best wishes from Oz.

Ken.
Hello Ken and welcome to TBN,
I'm sure you'll find hundreds of interesting topics to read.
Regarding getting a straight rear blade vs getting a boxblade, they each have their strong suit. A rear blade may have the option of swinging out to the side while pulling it so you can get to say a fence row or close to a building to scrape. On the other hand, I find a boxblade is much handier for what I do. I move a lot of dirt with it and I rip up hardpan spots with the scarifiers. I can bulldoze in reverse. I have cut ditches and built a 10,000 sq ft pad for my barn and smaller ones for the house and garage and sheds. I have maintained and smoothed my 1/2 mile long road for the last 3-1/2 years with it.
So to me, it is a little more valuable than a straight rear blade. I know some guys have both.
Rob-

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #58  
I agree with Rob, I have a 6' Rear Blade and a 5' box. I think the box is hands down the more versatile tool. The only thing I use my RB is for scrapping snow off hard surfaces.

The box is easier to use basically you just pull it along with out much adjusting, it fills up by scrapping the high spots and fills in the lows, once its full it doesn't over dig and just acts as a heavy self leveling drag. You can raise it to deposit more fill faster, or raise all the way to unload the whole box full, but I usually just drop it and let it float, I do add extra weight so it will cut and fill up faster.

That may be over simplifying a bit but compared to my experience with the RB, where I had tried grading with it and made such a mess in such short time, almost layed the tractor over in the holes I made. My RB does not have wheels on it and if you were to get one then wheels would be a necessity and I'm sure would make it more manageable/useful.

Here's a link to a thread that might help, in there I recommended a York Rake with wheels, which should be considered as it's the easiest tool of all to use IMO, very forgiving, and not a dainty implement either I was surprised the rough work it was capable of.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/135588-grading-long-driveway.html

Good Luck,
JB.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #59  
My box with rippers is great for pulling rocks out of the soil. And it is really good at leveling.

I like mine very much.

Joel

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #60  
Thanks for the welcome and further info re Box vs Rear Blade fellas. Primarily it will be used for my 1/2 mile of drive way as well, and since we wouldn't know what snow looked like, the Box does sound like the item I need.
I'll start looking for prices here in Oz, and try to get the most industrial unit I can manage with my Case IH 595 4x4.
Again, I really appreciate the info, and this site has a good feel to it.
Best wishes everyone.

Ken.