Vegetable farm equipment

/ Vegetable farm equipment #1  

Mud2Money

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT573CPS, NH TC45DA , Case SC
Hi everyone. We have a small vegetable farm. Being only a few people we try to mechanize things like weed control etc.

My self I like to fabricate what ever I can from the scrap pile.

What are some implements you guys have made ? Currently working on a Diamond tool bar. I’m going to mount my bed shapers on it , cultivators etc. I plan to either get the clamps and stretch the frame or make another tool bar. I’d like to make a mulch layer setup.

/ Vegetable farm equipment #2  
Hi everyone. We have a small vegetable farm. Being only a few people we try to mechanize things like weed control etc.

My self I like to fabricate what ever I can from the scrap pile.

What are some implements you guys have made ? Currently working on a Diamond tool bar. I’m going to mount my bed shapers on it , cultivators etc. I plan to either get the clamps and stretch the frame or make another tool bar. I’d like to make a mulch layer setup.
Ah, you are from the MI thumb area. Depending the area, some of the soil is alright and other locations like solid clay.

Composting and disc harrowing work great together.

Planting rows about 4FT apart for large plants allows mowers to keep the weeds down. Work well for potatoes too.

/ Vegetable farm equipment #3  
I have a 3 tractor fleet of Farmall 140s. Cole planters, fertilizer distributors for each tractor and all the sweeps, hillers and rolling cultivators. I plant on 4 foot rows and can easily control weeds and grass/weeds with Treflan and Atrazine. I've looked at the bedding/rolling implements but that's just too much trouble for my little operation.

/ Vegetable farm equipment
Yeah I’ve been doing 3-4’ rows depending on the crop , and yes I’m a native thumb bum lol. The thumb either seems like muck land or hard clay for the most part. I’m 1/4 mile off the lake and it’s hard clay here. I’ve been subsoiling the last few years to combat water issues and that’s greatly helped with our soil.

I have a 49 case sc I just recently got with the full set of cultivators. I’ll be using it for sure. Vegetable implements can be cheap or expensive depending what you need.

I built my own bed shaper from some large I-beam I had laying around. It works well and adjustable for bed width. I had it on my 7’ tiller. I use a old ford cultivator but it’s pretty light. I’m going to transfer the cultivators to my new tool bar cause it’s heavier. I have two Holland disc transplanters set up for close spaced crops.

/ Vegetable farm equipment #5  
Just came across this post... look functional for weeding... linking the post:

/ Vegetable farm equipment
Just spotted that as well this morning. No fab work today just lots of moving plants. Just moved over 700 tomatoes into our greenhouse, a few hundred cabbage , cauliflower , and broccoli.