Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Finally got a 55 gal drum for diesel, I have an electric pump for it. I assume I'll need to vent the drum when I draw out fuel. I'm thinking of just cracking the plug in the 3/4" bung every time I use it, or is there a better way to provide a vent?

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #2  
I just unscrew the small bung aprt way.

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #3  
You say you have an electric pump? what is the gpm rating of the pump?
You might want a vented filter such as goes in a fuel oil tank.

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #4  
I had trouble finding a filtered vent cap for my 55 gallon drum a couple years ago. Anything I saw was over $50 or something if I recall. I just crack the cap & it works fine. Drum starts collapsing if I forget.

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #5  
These are not specified for fuel but do work;
THREADED HYDRAULIC FILLER BREATHERS | Lenz

for the more frugal of us, get a oil filter with 3/4-14 threads (usually 3/4 bst) and a 3/4 pipe nipple, screw together and you have a good filtered breather

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel
Thanks for the suggestions. Pump is 8gal/min. I like the filters on the Lenz page. For now I'll just crack the 3/4" plug but I'll get one of those filter/breathers. That's a good way to keep the bugs out. I was thinking of making a U out of pipe and stuffing it with steel wool, but the filter is nicer.

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel
Turns out the fitting that threads into the barrel bung has shallow flats machined on the sides, so that should provide enough make up air when I use the pump.

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #9  
These are not specified for fuel but do work;

for the more frugal of us, get a oil filter with 3/4-14 threads (usually 3/4 bst) and a 3/4 pipe nipple, screw together and you have a good filtered breather

That's a great idea if the check valve allows it to vent.

I purchased some filtered air compressor mufflers off ebay that were advertised as 3/4 but turned out to be 1/2" NPT. I used a 1/2" to 3/4" NPT PVC bushing. My drums are stored under a shed. So far I haven't had any problems with condensation or anything by leaving them vented. I went back and forth about that and decided with the temperature changes it would be better to keep them vented than not.

/ Venting a 55 gal drum for diesel #10  
The industrial tanks pipe to a filter that looks sort of like an air compressor filter and has two pounds of desiccant. I am planning to use kitty litter and pvc pipe.