Ventrac or Grasshopper?

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #21  
I currently cut with a Simplicity Presitge 54" deck..and a ferris ZT 50" .. and test drove a VENTRAC 4200 with the base engine - 27HP Kawasaki liquid cooled .. FANTASTIC MACHINE.. and AWD.. also can place the double hubs for NO WORRY on steep slopes.. I have 4 acres all up hill with 2 terraces which give me steep slopes and trees/mulch beds on those slopes.. I cannot mow with the Ferris ZT.. on those slopes.. and the Prestige can only go up and down .. messes up my striping.. the VENTRAC is very compact but beefy.. I had to test drive the articulating with controls on right hand.. (back side).. and Steering on left hand (front side).. but NO PROBLEM.. it was a blast to drive.. and smooth over a field with bumps.. mower deck was POWERFUL.. big throw..and better striping than my Simplicitiy.. I am going to get one end of this season.. also like the attachments.. blowers, blades and snow blowers.. hook up in less than 2 minutes.. also have a great bagger with hydraulic unload to lift cuttings into dumpsters.. but HOLY COW.. !! $ 8750.. includes a turbine blower engine.. nice decks.. 72" offset deck easy to flip up and clean.. tight turns for a big heavy machine.. My understanding is that the STEINER Brothers founded the company after selling STEINER to a big corporation which mismanaged the brand.. so they waited for non compete.. and started VENTRAC.. as far as I know.. my dealer said the Brothers still answer the phone themselve sin the Ohio plant.. good for them.. great machine.. powerful, lots of engine and deck options.. and easy to use.. the 4200 with 27 HP Kaw engine ruins about $ 16950.. 72" offset mower.. under $ 3000 I believe.. a bit expensive.. but well worth it..

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #22  
I have a Steiner 420 with a Onan 20G performer. I have the 48" mower deck and a loader, brush (for snow), a dirt/snow blade. The brush is awesome on the snow. It is the best thing I have ever used to remove snow from anywhere. It takes it down to the bare driveway. I can have the entire 400ft driveway and concrete pad clear to nothing in about 20 mins. It is unreal. It is definately the envy of the neighbors. I use the loader for odd jobs and it can move dirt like no tomorrow. The 4wd drive system on these tractors is the best thing I have ever seen work. All 4 wheels turn and it doesn't spin a wheel (or two even) when they are up in the air. I'm not exactly sure how it can do that but all power is delivered to the wheels at the same time so you have maximum traction at all times. And you'd think you have more power than you do. I used the bucket the first year to clear snow on my up hill driveway and could push snow/ice UP the hill and it wouldn't spin the tires. The bar tires work great. I have no complaints. The bucket on it is a 4ft bucket and the main limitation of it is the weight capacity. It'll pick up a lot more than it can carry cause it wants to lift the rear end up even with 6 weights back there. It's a very powerful machine and loader. They are great machines. And the 4wd system is top notch whatever it is.

Steve

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #23  
Steve, I found out the flexability of the STEINER / VENTRAC type machines firsthand with my test drive.. but my wife will KILL ME if I dont get a bagger for it also (she hates clipping and leaves near the house).. but the VENTRAC bagger is new and hydraulic and costsa nearly $ 9k.. ouch..?.. Does STEINER or other brands have anything that could VAC up clippings and leaves for less cost?.. perhaps a lawn rake..?.. curious..

Thanks,

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #24  
Steve, I found out the flexability of the STEINER / VENTRAC type machines firsthand with my test drive.. but my wife will KILL ME if I dont get a bagger for it also (she hates clipping and leaves near the house).. but the VENTRAC bagger is new and hydraulic and costsa nearly $ 9k.. ouch..?.. Does STEINER or other brands have anything that could VAC up clippings and leaves for less cost?.. perhaps a lawn rake..?.. curious..

Thanks,

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #25  

Thanks,

Cyclone Rake Lawn Vacuum, Leaf Vacuum, and Leaf Shredder