VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #11  
The salesman (older guy like me) cautioned me about hydraulic system integrity, saying any time you opened it, you had to be EXTREMELY careful and not contaminate the oil, as any foreign matter could effectively trash the system. Maybe someone was not as careful as they should have been? Just my luck! A compromised pump? I am considering telling them to keep it and bring me a new one. All it would cost would be another measly $15K. Let me ask this of anyone reading this post: with the engine running at full throttle, will your 4500 "oscillate or articulate" from full left to full right while sitting still, or do you have to be moving for it to "pivot" fully left and right? I hope I am making sense. If you try to turn the wheel on my 4200 while sitting still, it won't move, just jiggle a little bit. I would love to hear what RawDodge thinks. He sounds like the "go to" guy for Ventracs. Thank you all for your thoughts about my little problem.

I have the same unit you have / 4200 VXD TD. It is 5 years old with 1100 hours. Other than changing the HYD filter and topping off fluid I have not had a need for any HYD maintenance. Sitting still with the engine idling I can easily turn the duals stop to stop with one hand. Likely the secondary side of your hyd. pump is worn and by-passing. A fairly inexpensive fix given the cost of a new 4500. I would think the dealer you purchased from would stand behind this repair as what you are describing is not normal for any Ventrac model. Good luck!

BT

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #12  
The only other thing that i can think of is the steering cylinder is bypassing internally ? jim

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #13  
This is NOT normal - the steering should be easy and if you just purchased this unit, the dealer should fix it - The people at Ventrac will not be happy with the dealer if you are having problems that do not get resolved.
I'd PM (private message) Raw Dodge - Jack Wiley - or go to the Ventrac web site and ask at their contact email addresses.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #14  
A bent jack is easy to see and i doubt it is whats wrong. If it travels ok and will pick up the mower deck easy, i would bet on the steering valve……… jim

Jim is on the right track as far as diagnostics go.... If the deck lifts normally and easily even with hot fluid, you likely have a bent steering cylinder ,or a bad steering valve,if the deck doesn't lift good with a hot hydraulic system,you have a different issue,likely a worn swash plate in the rear motor ,or a combination of worn plates,as there are 3 of them. You really need a pressure guage to diagnose the issue ,hopefully you have it resolved by now.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #15  
Is the steering issue solved ?? What was the solution ??

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #16  
would really like to know the outcome.

/ VENTRAC OWNERS: HELP! STEERING ISSUES KT4200 #17  
depending on the serial number. some of the older units had defective steering valves. With Proper authorization from the factory, they will be replaced under warranty, but you will have to pay the labor. Not a job for the faint of heart if you have never done it before. Also any time you get into the hydro system , it needs to be flushed with a special filter system that dealers should have. They are still replacing old valves if they are in fact defective.