Ventrac - Scooped

/ Ventrac - Scooped #1  

Impalajon

Tractor
John Deere 3032e
Ventracs are made nearby and I have a few uncles and cousins that have had Steiners over the years so I知 familiar with them and have wanted a Ventrac for a few years now. I live on 33 acres in North Central Ohio where about half is wooded and the other half is horse pasture and lawn, and none of it is level. I have 2 streams and a pond so I also have a few wet spots. I rented a Ventrac with the rough cut mower last fall and I was able to clear spots I wouldn稚 think of going with my John Deere 3032 and a brush hog. I have a quote from a nearby dealer for a new 4500z and 72 mower and a few other misc options but have hesitating pulling the trigger because they are quite spendy. I saw a few sell at equipment auctions earlier in the year in the mid teens but they were used a little harder than I wanted. I致e been watching Craig痴 list for a used one with a few hundred hours but with low expectations since who in their right mind would sell a Ventrac after just a year or two? It happened last Thursday, a 4500z with 72 deck and 138 hours was listed for what looked like a decent price about 45 minutes away. It was at least $5K less than my quote so I called and left a voicemail Friday afternoon and received a call back Friday evening. It turns out the seller works for Ventrac and they can buy a new tractor with their employee discount every 2 years. He said he realized now probably wasn稚 a great time to try to sell but he had started the process to get his new one in December before the pandemic hit and he had to follow through with it. It had all the options I would have ordered if new so I told him I would be there a little after noon Saturday to take a look.

I have a distant relative that works for Ventrac so I got a hold of him and he knew the seller and spoke very highly of him. He also was aware of the employee discount and confirmed it was a very fair price. I planned on getting to the bank early Saturday to get the cash out of my account and make that Ventrac mine. Bank lobbies are closed these days so I ended up running to 4 different drive through branches of my Bank in a few different towns to assemble the cash. I don稚 keep >$20K cash on hand and neither do banks, apparently. I called him at 11:30 to let him know I was leaving and had 1 quick stop to make along the way. I texted at 11:56 to give him an ETA of 12:20 when I left my stop. I was at the last stoplight outside Orrville just 5 minutes away from his place when my phone rang, it was him. He told me the mower just sold? WTF?

I was stunned and didn稚 notice the light had changed so I after a polite honk from the car behind, I made a (legal) U-turn and headed back home. I called my relative that knew him and he was just as stunned as I was, and was very apologetic on behalf of his co-worker.

I realize that often in these cases the first person to arrive with cash gets the deal, but had I known anyone else was sniffing around at all, I would have made it clear during one of our communications that I would take it sight unseen. I guess things like this happen for a reason but couldn稚 help being disappointed riding around on my John Deere D-170 earlier this afternoon.

/ Ventrac - Scooped #2  
Yea, that sucks... I had a deal where I agreed to come the next day after work to buy a sidewinder mower, a carry all, and a 5' rear blade. I thought it was a done deal. Called him at noon (thank God) to confirm and he said someone was coming out at 3pm to buy everything... he said something about if it ain't sold, it's still for sale, so I asked him, does that mean I can run down there NOW!?!?! Yup. Got it all and would have paid another $50 to see the guys face @ 3 pm....

/ Ventrac - Scooped #3  
Ouch. Thats brutal.

For what its worth, the tractor is spendy, but Im like you - I have access now to areas I had written off.

Im pleased to say the machine as exceeded my expectations, and for the first time in 5 years, my tiny 5 acre plot (on a 30-degree hill) is ready for fire season.

It really sucks that this sold before you could close the deal, but the machine does an amazing amount of work, and is still a bit of a rarity in Ag circles. They get attention.

The investment in a new machine, while excruciatingly painful, is absolutely worth it.

In my case, it brings the peace of mind that I have all the ladder fuels on my parcel cleared, which is worth way above the cost of ownership.

Painful, yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

No, really. =0)

/ Ventrac - Scooped #4  
I called on a 2014 Kubota Grand L3940 with 300 hrs, TLB, original owner, etc etc, $14k. I called within 15 minutes of the ad being posted. It was Sunday afternoon. The gentleman said he was booked solid until Wed morning at 8. I begged to be able to come on. Told him I had cash and a trailer but he said he had family in town and no one was coming out until Wed morning. I got the address and confirmed with him I would be there.

Wed morning I was at the address, called from the driveway only to be told, oh that sold 2 days ago....huh? He said yeah, someone was willing to come at 7 AM before his family got up

/ Ventrac - Scooped #5  
I just bought a snow plow with a skid steer mount off Craigslist sight unseen. The seller was reluctant to hold it, which I understand. I said if I text you a photo with the cash in hand, can I pick it up tomorrow. He said yes, and everything worked out. It sucks when a seller doesn't commit to the order of requests.

/ Ventrac - Scooped #6  
....It sucks when a seller doesn't commit to the order of requests.
I wonder if some buyers are better (or pushier) persuaders?

I was on the other side once, a 5' spike aerator and a 6' rear blade for $50 total. The kid put an ad on Craig's List in the morning, I saw it in the afternoon and sent an e-mail with the title "I'll pay you $60". When he got home he said he had hundreds of requests!!! :dance1: I ended up giving him $80, he helped load them up. He was hired to clean up the yard and get ride of the junk!!!

I would say almost every time I buy on Craig's List, I pay a few more bucks (some times because I did not bring exact change, $75 get rounded up to $80 :mad:)

/ Ventrac - Scooped #7  
I, too have been selling on Craig's list recently. A buyer from Michigan only wanted a Gravely snow blower from my ad of the tractor, mower, and blade. He is stuck in his home state until they say he can travel. I am holding the snow blower until he can get here. I have since sold the rest, and could have included the blower, but life is too short and getting more precious all the time to treat people like that. My :2cents: