Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog
I'd go with a traditional tractor unless your land is smooth and rock free,and you have lots of time...the horsepower isn't there on a ventrac for high speed or high production mowing big pastures if you have let them go for long periods of time,it will do it but slowly. One previous post stated a 1/2" belt was the drive ,and this is incorrect,it's a 5/8" belt drive which is much stronger than a 1/2" ,with the 75hp rated PTO clutch the setup is definitely adequate but is no comparison to. 540 Pto and gearbox brushhog......another comment was how the diesel was more powerful,and that too is not the case,it may be more efficient but the most powerful ventrac engine is the 31 Kawi DFI,the kubota 3 cylinder 32.5 is rated higher but the Kawi is stronger and more fuel efficient,but the kubota should have an engine life advantage,as they are a very well built engine.the kubota diesel is a great engine too just a little less power .Do not under any circumstances buy a used 31 turbodiesel,it's an unreliable headache engine,I've yet to see 1 make it to 2000 hrs without major issues,it's also a known an overheater,especially
mowing pastures,and they aren't made anymore,parts are no longer available.

Thanks for the info, especially about the 31 turbodiesel, i have read about the overheating problem and am glad it was one particular model and not the entire line. Our pasture is rock free, some flat, some slope, some wet low lying areas. It does not get overly overgrown. I know that the ventrac equipment will save time on the slopes and around the creeks, springs, ponds etc but am still not sure how much slower it will be over flat ground. Most of it is just pasture grass a couple of feet tall.

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #12  
If there is a Ventrac dealership reasonably close to you, then I bet they would come out to your place do let you demo their machine.

prs

/ Ventrac versus traditional tractor with bush hog #13  
Thanks for the info, especially about the 31 turbodiesel, i have read about the overheating problem and am glad it was one particular model and not the entire line. Our pasture is rock free, some flat, some slope, some wet low lying areas. It does not get overly overgrown. I know that the ventrac equipment will save time on the slopes and around the creeks, springs, ponds etc but am still not sure how much slower it will be over flat ground. Most of it is just pasture grass a couple of feet tall.

If the grass isn't thick,and your not concerned about taking down every blade,,you can probably move along at a good clip...if you have more uses for a ventrac than a tractor,maybe you can get a neighboring farmer to cut your open fields for mulch hay and you can get the ventrac and do the hills and wet areas....I did that at my property,had a neighbor hay my 12 Acre filed to keep it from getting out of control...on the engines,yes it's just that engine, the non turbodiesel is 26.5.hp it's decent but IMO a big step below the kubota diesels in durability and quality....the best older Ventracs have the 31hp 3 cylinder gas briggs diahatsu-they are the king of durability,literally nothing happens to them,my dealer has only seen them for service and no engine related issues...the most he's ever done to a ventrac with that engine is a bad ignition coil on 1 or 2 in 15 yrs....The new 4500s are all good engine choices don't think you could go wrong...