Verizon WiFi issues

/ Verizon WiFi issues #21  
FWIW...cracking into wireless networks is actually easy if you have the software...
...I won't go into details but it's basically done by sending a signal to the wireless router/hotspot/repeater etc...that disconnects all IP connections...(for DHC protocol)...then it captures the user's credentials (ID/password) when they are resent...

/ Verizon WiFi issues #22  
FWIW...cracking into wireless networks is actually easy if you have the software...
...I won't go into details but it's basically done by sending a signal to the wireless router/hotspot/repeater etc...that disconnects all IP connections...(for DHC protocol)...then it captures the user's credentials (ID/password) when they are resent...
That worked with WEP, does it work for WPA2-PSK as well?

Aaron Z

/ Verizon WiFi issues #23  
Ahh, is that kinda like when installing a WiFi device and letting it autoconfig to the router by hitting the reset button on the router?

/ Verizon WiFi issues #24  
That worked with WEP, does it work for WPA2-PSK as well?

Aaron Z

the simple is yes...but the software is a bit more sophisticated than what is/was required for WEP...
Honestly I don't think there is a router on the planet that can't be cracked but the level of skill needed to not get caught is significant...

Ahh, is that kinda like when installing a WiFi device and letting it autoconfig to the router by hitting the reset button on the router?
Well (deep subject)...if a malicious hacker was monitoring the network (at the time the router's DHCP server was reset) it would just eliminate the need to flush a client(s) IP...

As I said in my original reply there is free software that allows you to monitor any/all network traffic...to find a particular network adapter's MAC address (wired or wireless) use ipconfig /all (look for "physical address")

I'm not a network security expert...if someone wants to learn more about this stuff I suggest USENET for information and utilities...you can find some stuff on the WWW with search engines but newsgroups are the best resource...
...anyone with a torrent client can download the specific (bootable) Linux distribution ICO's that have (wifi etc.) cracking packages pre-configured...being able to use them is where the skill level comes into play...i.e., most "script kiddies" are lost with a CLI...!

/ Verizon WiFi issues #25  
i remember back before GUI that CLI was all there was. much preferred it actually.

I have a util that came with my hotspot that lets me monitor network conenctions to the hotspot, it's what i expect, office tablets and phones, 3 pc's.. etc... no surprise there.

thanks

/ Verizon WiFi issues #26  
eddie - we were using a verizon jet pack/hot spot/mifi and ran into the same issue you did.. I looked at our usage and over a week or so we used several gb's between midnight and 6am.

The wifes ipad was the only thing running at that time - cloud backup was off, and auto update was also off - BUT somehow it was using that data doing something..

Brian

/ Verizon WiFi issues #27  
might even be apps themselves updating. social media and weather sites sometimes also stream even when not active.

/ Verizon WiFi issues #29  
Even if you disable "background refresh"?

i know on my phone, i can go into task manager and disable MOST background tasks.. but it will always list 4-5 that CAN stay active even under a lock screen. going into airplane mode with both wifi and cellular off is the only way to kill all data. I know i can go into AM and then re-enable blue tooth and wifi.. but have found the full deal is the only way to kill all of it. facebook is one of the worst.

/ Verizon WiFi issues
Update. I spoke to a lady at Verizon and asked about my usage problem. She said that there is no way that they can figure out what is using all the data from their location and that I needed to turn off the MiFi Jetpack when I'm done with it and turn it on when I want to use it. Not what I wanted to hear, but simple enough to do. Just a delay every time I turn on the computer to wait for it to start working again.

The first two months I did this, there was a significant decline in my usage and I was able to stay under 20 gigs a month. I think this is crazy because I don't download movies or anything, but with Karen working on her PhD, she downloads a fair amount of stuff. I don't know what her usage is, but before getting the WiFi, my usage was less then a quarter of this.

In the last two months I've noticed that after turning off the Jetpack, when I go to turn it back on, it's already on. I've gotten to the point that I have the computer on and I turn off the Jetpack while watching the screen to see when I lose my internet connection. Then I turn off the computer and go to work or to bed. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, it's already on!!!!

This month, 20 days into my billing cycle, I'm already over 20 gigs. Half a gig per day. There have been quite a few days when all I've used it is in the morning when I eat breakfast and have my cup of coffee. I haven't used it in the evening because of all that's been going on with Christmas. My usage should be way down, but it's increased.

Who is using something other then Verizon? What program do you use to figure out your wifi usage?

Eddie