Vermeer 906 PTO chipper

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper #21  
If you set yourself up a roll out tarp. Like what are on tri axle dump trucks. Once it opens halfway make a lock for it so its like a canopy and directs the woodchips down. We do this when we do new road projects. The trucks are to tall for the chipper so if we roll the tarp out half way, now we can blow chips without raising the bed or blowing it right over the cab. Also the tarp will cover your load and make the cops happy

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper #22  
WOW!
Can't believe I missed THIS thread!

Peter, I've been off the forum for a month or so. I've been wondering off and on if you'd bought the chipper we talked about. I'm glad it ended up working out for you. It looks like your getting some great use out of it, it's amazing how well these things work. I wasn't able to put mine to the test yet, only a few small sticks through it still, it's amazing how busy I've been with the new baby :D

Thanks for posting the required fluids in the beginning of the thread. I did end up getting the manual with mine, the former owner came across it and he mailed it to me, he also included a second set of knives.

Way to go on that dump truck! That is a great score. I'm really glad it ended up working out for you and your happy with the chipper, I would have felt bad if you made the purchase and then regretted it. :D

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper
Good advice on the roll out tarp catdozer. Will need to look into that.

My chip pile is growing. :D

chips01.jpg

chips02.jpg

Had to dig my way of out that one by hand as my tractor was over on the lot I'm working on. :D

Piston, I got new clutch plates on order for my chipper as I got a large 9"+ piece wedged in there (so stopping the hydraulic did not help) and at first the engine bogged down, but then the slip clutch did it's thing, but it took me about 20 seconds to get around the trunk and into the seat to turn off the PTO. Lots and lots of clutch plate smoke. :(

It still works fine, but I have to be very careful now with stopping the hydraulic feed quickly and also not tempt faith with those 10+ inch stubby logs. Clutch plates were rather pricy at $25 a pop and it takes 4, but still not bad compared to if I had no slip clutch at all!

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper #25  
Thank god for slip clutches! Good thing you checked it and it wasn't seized up prior to using the chipper!

Actually it was seized up. I had to loosen the 4 bolts all the way (which means you actually tighten them to take the spring pressure off), and it took me about 10 tries at full 540 RPM to break it free! I'm very glad I did that though!

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper #28  
If you don't mind me. Asking how much do one of those cost ?

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper #29  
If you don't mind me. Asking how much do one of those cost ?

Well, Vermeer no longer makes PTO chippers. However the new cost for the 606 that I have was right at $10,000. This was in 2002 so who knows what that equates to nowadays.
The 906 like this one would have been close to $13,000 give or take a grand.

IF you can find one used (their not too common) they run anywhere from $4,500-$8,000 from what I've seen.

The reason these are so much more expensive than models from companies like Wallenstein, Valby, etc. is because for one, they use much heavier and thicker steal, and two, they have independent hydraulic pumps and reservoirs that are self contained on the unit and run from the PTO shaft. This way, you don't need remote hydraulics on your tractor.
The weight on my 606 is about 1,400lbs, and the 906 that Peter has is a whopping 2,200lbs! I don't believe there is another PTO chipper made with similar capacity, that even comes close to these weights.

/ Vermeer 906 PTO chipper #30  
Wow that's looks like an amazing machine I guess I'll buy a walenstein but I would love to have one like that !